Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 133

Packard Don, Tobs, Jack Vines, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiring for light switch for 46 custom clipper
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jbgeer
See User information
So I have required my car with a new harness from Rhode Island wiring and it just shows wires to the headlights and instruments but doesn’t say where each wire goes. Does anyone have any help out there
Thanks and happy holidays, John Geer

Posted on: 2021/12/26 10:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring for light switch for 46 custom clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did RI Wiring send a wiring diagram or chart with the loom and did you get the complete loom or just the main portion? Usually the loom makers have a printed chart or list showing the wire numbers they used along with where they connect. A chart for a loom made by one mfg may not work for another.

Typically the body loom is separate and is connected via inline connectors to the proper locations on the main loom for the tail lights etc. Most options were sold as accessories and wiring for those is typically separate and not part of the main or body loom.

There are a couple of wiring diagrams available on site. The easiest to chase a wire point to point is the A.E.A. style diagram but the printing may be hard to read to determine wire colors.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1947_21stSeriesWireDiagram.pdf For a more true representation of how the loom is positioned in the car the factory diagram for the 21st series models printed in a 1945 Service Counselor is more or less a birds eye view of the layout. It also has a chart showing original factory wire colors that may be of use if the repro RI loom used all of them. Downside to factory diagrams prior to 48 is to follow a wire point to point you need to find a number at one end and then follow the loom line along until individual wires start to break out where you need to find the same number again to see how and where it connects.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL19NO10.pdf

Turn signals were optional on most models but standard on the Customs. A portion of the circuit may be in the main loom but other wires are in the body portion of the loom. The Custom and I believe the Super also had extra rear courtesy lights on the front seat back that other models did not have. Those wires are not part of a loom or shown on the diagrams. Here is a bit I put together for those lights in my 47. You didn't mention if your car is a sedan or 2 door but the diagram is for a sedan. Not sure exactly how he two doors differ but in a sedan the front under dash courtesy lights are stand alone and have separate wires and switches. No connections to the rear courtesy lights so front door turns the front on and rear door turns the seat back lights on. The stock wiring has the pillar switch only work the quarter panel courtesy lights but it would be easy to connect the two circuits so doors or pillar switch would work all.

Am throwing in an extracted diagram showing the 46-7 turn signal circuit. Front bulbs have two filaments and are shared with parking light circuit but rear bulbs are separate single filament and not shared with brakes like the later models. Note the indicator lights are connected as noted and they do go in the opposite side hole in the speedo. The resistors are in a metal holder that looks like a fuse holder which may be covered with a cardboard sleeve.

Attach file:

jpg  2106 rear courtesy.jpg (91.08 KB)
209_61c898f9c94d0.jpg 1650X1275 px

jpg  46-7 turn signal extraction.jpg (57.06 KB)
209_61c89c3165fcb.jpg 1169X1295 px

Posted on: 2021/12/26 11:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring for light switch for 46 custom clipper
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jbgeer
See User information
I can’t thank you enough for this info. It is so much better than what came with the harness from Kanter. I did replace whole thing except for turn signal wires but they look ok. I think I must have to switch some of the black wires on the headlight switch since parking lights come on when I pull switch out all the way. All the black wires had no markings. Frustrating to say the least. Thanks again!!

Posted on: 2021/12/26 20:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved