Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Usefull website
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As far as is know my 50 is the only running survivor in South Africa.

The PAC directory shows just over a dozen Packards in South Africa, of course I don't know if they are all running. Range is from 1932 to 1948. Members are in Caledon, Summerstrand, Alberton, and Lytelton.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks for the info owen_dyneto. I know of some in Johannesburg and also down in the Wilderness/Knysna area in the southern Cape. Also, there is 3 in the Franschoek Motormuseum. see my blog for photos.

Here is some photos of my door sills as requested.

Attach file:

jpg  (140.13 KB)
484_4a153558bf3db.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (65.20 KB)
484_4a15357e8bdf9.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/5/21 6:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi africapackard

Thanks very much for the photos of your door openings/sill level - these will help me sort out my car in this area.

Thanks too for your info contained in your earlier reply.

Now another topic : my car is from S.Africa and was not fitted with a heater ONLY the two knobs (not 4) under the central dash area are fitted to control the fresh air inlets for near and offside vents - was this normal practice ? is your the same or does it have a full heater/demister ?

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/5/27 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Hi Michael
I know you didn't ask me about the heater. But I thought you would like to know that heaters were optional on all domestic and export Packards of the time. If you haven't seen one, the picture shows one. It is the big square box at the top left of the photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.54 KB)
462_4a1dbeb0bdd9e.jpg 400X267 px

Posted on: 2009/5/27 17:30
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Michael

Glad the photos helped. Just ask if you want some other things photographed.
Indeed there is no heater or controls in my car either, but I thought that was because it was a lowly standard eight? Anyway, I will check on some other RHD 48's and 49's. Anyway, heaters are a bit useless here!! My 61 Chev truck also came without one.

I do only have 2 knobs for fresh air, but there is space for the other two, I thought they were just missing.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks 49packard for photo of heater

africapackard seems quite happy with no heater - but over here in UK once restored and on the road I'll need one to keep warm in winter and a lot of the summer !! High presipitation also gives us a lot of mist on the screen hence our term "demister" (same as your defroster)

Too bad you are in Missouri or I'd have had the one in the photo - is that your car ?

I found a truck heater in the states but $640 + extras - tubes/piping etc. then 15% VAT & import duty seemed a bit over the top - Oh and shipping

I've now found a repro/retrofit unit here in the UK with all above comes to $400 - of course all the work/time to fit the thing has to be added

The truck heater was second hand but the UK product is new and custom made

Cheers Michael

Posted on: 2009/6/8 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi africapackard

As you'll have seen reading 49packard's comments our cars heaters were "extras" - mine is just as yours - COLD air only, no good to me over here.

I'm off to Forums now as I have discovered my horns don't work so hoping to find someone out there to help.

Go to Forums and feed in "Horns" to read my predicament.

Regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/6/8 10:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved