Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cooling hose question (mine fell off)
Just popping in
Just popping in

BCbathtub
See User information
So, took the 50 out for a little ride after washing it today ..... beautiful day. Anyway, the temp guage rushed to H, steam starts pouring out of car.... pulled into local gas station. The car can sit there until garage opens in morning... its a provincial holiday here (of course!) Looks like there is a small hose missing from pump to radiator....bottom of rad. No idea as to size or what I should be asking for at the local parts store...think was threaded on the one end and not the other - clamped, I guess. 288 engine. Was really surprised the hose woudl just come off, given it would have been attached or clamped at both ends...

Posted on: 2022/8/1 18:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Cooling hose question (mine fell off)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If I recall the 23rd series 50s still used a short hose at the water pump end which connects to a steel elbow pipe assy that drops down toward the bottom of the engine and then another short hose from that metal elbow piece to the bottom outlet of the radiator. Some engines could have used a molded long length -- maybe 18 inches -- of hose from the radiator to the pump and if yours had that it would connect directly between the water pump and lower radiator outlet. Max Merritt has that hose as he does the short lengths but those come as part of a kit which includes the upper hose. If your car is different in some way it might help to post a photo of that area so those very familiar with the 23rd series can see if you are missing something else.

I believe the short hose will be 1 3/4 inches in diameter and about 4-5 inches long but the mechanic will need to measure the diameter and length needed to be sure. It is ordinary radiator hose and should be available at Napa or most other parts stores -- although you may need to buy a longer piece and cut the length you need from that. There is a clamp at each end. If it fell off, I suspect a clamp failed or hose was too short to begin with and not enough hose was on the metal tube ends for a clamp to do any good.

Posted on: 2022/8/1 21:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved