Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ballpeaner question
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I want to make a 2 piece oil pan for the Packard V8 for ez removal. Need to cut the pan transversly along the green line shown in the pic below. OR cut it somewhere about that area to make a 2 piece pan.

I have a flanging tool that fits and air chisel but it only works for flat sheet metal or i can't figure out how to use it to flange the curveature of the pan.

I have TWO pans that i can cut up to make one pan from or use just one pan.

Ballpeaner. What is your recommendation to fabricate the 2wo piece pan?????

Attach file:

jpg  (39.48 KB)
35_49ebcf9e9e7e0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/19 20:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: Ballpeaner question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Why not cut the very bottom off of it, flange it, then put a flat plate on the bottom?

Posted on: 2009/4/19 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Cut the bottom off???? No, i want to cut the pan transversly somewhere about the green line in the pic. I already have a pan with removable bottom. I want a pan that i can COMPLETELY remove from the engine without disassembly of the exh, lower bellhousing etc.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 21:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is this for permanent or test? If test, one way would be to cut along the least curved section. A small "L" flange could be pop riveted or spot welded to each piece and the gaps filled in with extra metal, or JB weld or some such. Either clamp or screw the flanges together with a thick gasket or sheet neoprene between. If permanent, then maybe same principal but would need a solid weld.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.26 KB)
209_49ebdf4406f95.jpg 425X450 px

Posted on: 2009/4/19 21:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Why not just cut out the center on the bottom portion to make an inspection cover. You can flange the pan afterward, and replace the cut out section with a piece of larger metal to fit in the flanged area with a gasket. You could also weld some nuts on the inside of the flange to give you something to bolt the inspection panel to.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.38 KB)
1_49ebefe4a1f3e.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2009/4/19 22:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"I want a pan that i can COMPLETELY remove from the engine without disassembly of the exh, lower bellhousing etc."

I don't think the 2 piece pan idea will work. You would still have to jack up the engine to slide the front half past the rods and crankshaft.

The back half could come off. But you already have an access port to the back bearings.

If I understand you correctly what you want is to remove the pan without jacking up the engine. The only way I can see this being possible is to cut out the front crossmember and relocate the exhaust pipe and keep the pan one piece, but be able to drop it down and slide it back. Of course you would have to reinforce the crossmember to keep the frame strength.

Maybe if you cut out the top part of the crossmember and boxed it in? Then mount the engine an inch higher than stock?

I have no idea why you want to do this but can't help thinking there must be an easier way to get where you want to go.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Why do you want a quick removable pan?

Posted on: 2009/4/24 8:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I have no idea why you want to do this but can't help thinking there must be an easier way to get where you want to go.

Because Keith is even more insane than I am!

Actually, Keith's car is a rolling laboratory for Packard development so having easy access panels is a good idea for what he wants to do. I think a custom made oil pan out of 1/8" aluminum sheet is what he really needs.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've removed the ENTIRE ONE PIECE factory oil pan from my 56 Exec at least 20-30 times spanning over the last 10 years. I've NEVER had to jack up the engine. NONE whatsoever. Removed oil pan from the 56 Parts Executive 3hhree times before i removed the engine completely. Never had to jack up the engine.

The service manual for 55-56 makes NO statement about jacking up the engine.

WHY would i need to jack up the engine?????

Posted on: 2009/4/24 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If clearing the crank/rods is problem then just rotate the crank so that hte crank/rods provide clearenece. I did have to do that.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 12:15
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved