Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 190

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trickey 55-56 Fender Molding Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
It's been too many years, too many margaritas and too many grey matter cells gone bye bye: that I can't remember to save my life now about how in the HE double tooth-pick I secure the upper fender moldings on my '55 400 to the front grille? The grille isn't done yet (from chromer), but I hung the molding as I didn't want them to get scratched in the garage. I vaguely remember my now passed away father in law telling me to be VERY CAREFUL when I secured this part; but hells bells, I can't remember and if its in the Packard repair manual, I can't find that section! I need help here guys! Is there a specialty fastner used at this corner????

Help always appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Kevin in Tucson.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.39 KB)
20_49f4e53747a9c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (51.91 KB)
20_49f4e54872245.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (162.88 KB)
20_49f4e5621cd54.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/26 17:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Trickey 55-56 Fender Molding Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Added another picture ...........erred with bumper pic that was also put on today.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.67 KB)
20_49f4e816be8b0.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/26 18:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Section 10 in service manual has the procedure but if I understand question, the side pieces just overlap (underlap would be more the correct orientation) but do not actually screw to grill. The grill is fixed to fender under headlights and around the corner and the side pieces underlap by sliding into recess and then screw in from behind the fender. The caution part is the tab on grill may not be flat against the fender so don't tighten it down without putting something behind the tab or tighten so the side won't slide in. As I recall the side piece has 5-6 screws and a couple are a PIA to get to.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 18:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Did you do any fitting of the chrome before sending it out for plating?

Posted on: 2009/4/26 23:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I believe Howard is on the money. Mount the two halves of the oxbow and slide them together as tight as possible. Fasten the oxbow to the main grille for support. Examine the fit of the wrap-around portion of the oxbow and if there is a gap between the tang where the bolt goes and the fender, shim it with a washer. Start that bolt in thru the fender and before you tighten it slide the side piece under covering up the tang and insert one of the side mounting screws to support the side trim. Have fun getting all the side screws in and snugged up properly.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 0:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Mr. Pushbutton,

No I didn't BUT wish I had. As I've been endeavoring for several years now to complete this car, I had different items plated and then stored awaiting the day that it was time to again replace things onto the 400. After hanging the rear bumper last weekend, I notice that I cracked the plating on long piece that crosses from side to side (tail pipes feed through)on the rear bumper. I only too late realized that I mixed several parts together and as I now realize I am the culprit. Live and learn! As I finish the car I still have the front grille assembly to do, and I plan on 'test fitting' prior to plating.

Kevin
Tucson, AZ

Posted on: 2009/5/1 22:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved