Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 205

Pack120c, Leeedy, Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Ultramatic Transmission External Trans. Fluid Cooler - 1956
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Greetings,

I did take the advise to have the radiator checked and sure enough it was plugged. Got it back with a new core on Friday, so we'll see if that helps once I get the fluid changed.

I noticed Saturday when I started it and let it run that I now have a leak coming from the tranny. It looks to be coming through the hole in the plate that gives you access to the drain plugs on the torque converter.

Any ideas what seal(s) might be there that might have failed because of the overheating?

Thanks All.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 7:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am confused. The original thread was trans overheating and slipping but don't see mention of engine overheating. You say radiator re-cored--the engine coolant radiator or the trans cooler? If trans cooler, what type do you have?

As to the leak, several things can leak in that area thru loose bolts or blown gaskets but most likely culprit is the front seal.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Thanks for the info. None of my gauges work because the IVR was shot for a long time and the 12v must have destroyed the insides of all so the only way I knew I had a problem was some occassional coolant leakage. Someone in the thread had mentioned having the radiator checked to see if it was plugged, reducing the flow to the transmission cooler causing the temp. to rise.
It was plugged pretty bad and lots of leaks when cleaned.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 6:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved