Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 246

acolds, Don B, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

T/l blowing fuses
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
The T/L on my '56 Clipper 2 dr has worked flawlessly until last Friday. Now the rear end is all the way down and the front end is pointing skyward. Tried pushing down on the front end and then tried to jack up the rear. While jacking up the rear end helped, when the jack was removed, the rear started to sag again. Thats when the t/l motor tries to lift, but keeps blowing fuses. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Posted on: 2009/4/27 19:53
 Top  Print   

Re: T/l blowing fuses
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
::bump::

Posted on: 2009/4/27 21:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
First thing I'd do is verify the location of transverse rods. Unfortunately, that requires being under to see them. If the limit switch shorted or failed, instead of stopping the motor it will let it go around past the normal stop point and drive the bars into the unit.

Since the rear is all the way down and blowing fuses, that is sounding like a good possibility. There is a procedure in service counselor 29-12https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1955_ServiceCounselors_7-13.pdf for a procedure on manually raising the rear end. Once car is level, then troubleshooting can begin.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.03 KB)
209_49f670181eeeb.jpg 251X406 px

Posted on: 2009/4/27 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
HH56 is correct. I experienced this once when I forgot to turn off the load leveller and jacked the rear end of the car. Once it has gone through a limit the limit switches will not allow power to the levellizer. I pulled the '55 Pat onto a two track lift and very carefully shorted around the limit switch with a length of wire. This raised the rear end back past its built in limit, the system has worked normally since and I have never again had a brain fart of this nature (there've been a couple of others that we won't mention but - never that one again). This may not be your problem however. It is my understanding of the system that, once you've passed a limit the limit switches won't allow any power to the leveller. I did not blow the fuse. The leveller just would not power until the rear was back within limits.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I just read my previous post, the conclusion of which is (again) that HH56 is probably correct. It sounds as though a limit switch may have failed and that the motor is continuing to try to run, binding the rods, overloading the circuit and blowing the fuze.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 22:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Thanks for the help!
Seems that it was the same problem that Loyd had. The guys at the shop forgot to turn off the T/L when they jacked the car. They won't do that again!

Posted on: 2009/4/28 20:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Sounds like you have the problem handled, But I have seen the center post (small gauge stud for the pull-in coil) on the T/L solenoids develop problems due to the fibre insulating washers deteriorating, causing the stud to contact ground, which will pull in the solenoid and make the motor run in that direction.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 23:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If the solenoid(s) are energized without going thru the limit switches, then the unit will wind around and probably bend the links and twist the gear in the gear-reduction mechanism. Double check that the drivers side link is on the forward side of the gearbox and the passenger side link is at the rear as shown in the illustration above in HH56 post.
Please come back and tell us that the problem is resolved and how you did it.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 0:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved