Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Researching Packard Patents at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Just popping in
Just popping in

Russell Keune
See User information
Has anyone had any experience in researching the patents issued to the Packard Motor Car Company in the late 1940s and early 1950s by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office? I am planning to visit their offices in the coming months and would appreciate any advice and guidance from someone who has done similar patent research.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 20:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Researching Packard Patents at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had an article on this topic published by PAC some years back (Spring 2000 issue, The Packard Cormorant); it was really an effort to whet the appetite of a more professional researcher which, alas, never happened to my knowledge. Its basis were the patents (most but not all assigned to Packard) listed on the 1947 vehicle patent plate.

As I've noted before, it's an untapped treasure trove of history, go for it! Send me a PM with your email for a copy if you don't have the original publication.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Actually o-d, my good friend jeff from m.a.p. who posted the branson national topic has! it was a presentation that he made at one of our first two regional meets we held. he dose not spend much time on here, and i don't seem to have a good # for him at the moment. are either of you going to be at branson? i don't remember the other posts well. if so, i'll try to get you together with him so you can ask questions.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 20:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Where was Jeff's work published? Or was it just a presentation and no record of it kept? I'd very much enjoy seeing it. Sorry, I'll not be at Branson.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
it was just a presentation he gave at the time. lots of realy cool stuff. it was not long after that that he moove out to the east coast, and i lost track of him. i didn't even know he was back here in mo untill i saw his post on the branson national. when i see him i'll see if i can find out how much his research progressed.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 19:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
Hi guys, to respond to GreenDragon's post, I have done much USPTO research, but let's face it - with Packard you are looking at an enormous task. They had sooo many patents issued. I do remember your article, Russell, and enjoyed it very much. I figued more would be uncovered, but I haven't heard any rumbling out there.

I did do a program for our club, but it morphed into a complete overview of Packard's SAE papers. Some years later I was urged to go ahead and write it up for The Packard Cormorant, which I did. It was published a couple of years ago. What's funny, not one comment was heard either good or bad. <crickets chirping>

There is indeed a wealth of information out there, if one is ready for the work. I think I will have to wait on this one till I am retired, but I am planning to narrow the focus for upcoming research: the patents of Bill Allison, the inventor of Torsion-Level. He was a very prolific engineer before, during and after Packard, filing with the USPTO as late as the 90s just prior to his passing. I would like to interview his surviving family, and try to get the essence of the man on paper, but I am not sure who to turn to for that.

Jeff

(see y'all in Branson in 2 weeks!)

Posted on: 2009/6/7 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Thanks for updating the thread Jeff! after our chat the other night, i'm seriously considering the patent chase. i'm thinking however about going after the v/8 years first. since the id plates on these cars have no pto #'s on them like the older cars. any imput on this line of thought from the rest of p'info?

Posted on: 2009/6/7 15:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not complicated, conduct a search on all U.S.patents assigned to Packard Motor Car Company and Studebaker-Packard Corporation, and then just cull those whose filing date fits the period you're interested in. You won't catch those patents however that were used in Packard cars that were licensed or cross-licensed from others, as was pretty common in the industry.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 17:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved