Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Still battling the clutch adjustment on my '29. Help!
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Okay, I've had my 633 for almost two years now and have never been super happy with the clutch. Compared to others I drove long ago, the clutch pedal is almost non-existent.

Just adjusted the rod again, it's almost all the way out, maybe a 1/4" left at the most. The clutch is engaging well and solid with this, but the clutch pedal itself isn't encountering any resistance and is light as a feather until you're 2" or 3" from the toe plate - all the action happens there. Press it onto the floor, clutch begins to engage when pedal is about an inch or two off the floor, at a out 3 to 4" it's fully engaged. It works, just don't like the way it feels, super soft and just no resistance at all.

Adjusting the clutch has been a non-stop battle with the car as it never seems to stay in a happy place for more than a month or two. What's left? Adjusting the pressure plate fingers? Changing the clutch altogether? This clutch has maybe 1,800 miles on it since 2000 when it was put in, but I know based on everything I saw when I got the car, the previous owner knew nothing about the car, bought it on a whim, and I'm sure he'd never driven a car like this before and likely never heard of double clutching.

Anything I can do to get a more "normal" feeling clutch? Don't really trust driving the car any longer distances like this, not to mention other little odds and ends. Thanks much and Happy Easter to all!

Posted on: 2023/4/7 11:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved