Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Hood Bracing
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Kev. I'll check back in in the AM. Gotta get some sleep now.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 23:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does appear just stamped and no hood prop on mine but parts says there was a prop on 5588s. Interesting they would go to expense of new stamping dies for such a limited model.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 23:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I wonder why the 5588 needed the support rod, and the '56s didn't, interesting.

As an experiment when I get back from Atlanta I may try to use a couple pieces of paint stick wedged in the corner like Carl's padding to see if it makes any difference in the flex. If it does, then I will try to fashion some of the padding shims similar to Carls. Carl, did your new and old hood both have the corner padding? Just curious if all the 51-54 hoods came this way, so were they just shimmed by owners or dealers at some point.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 23:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The 5588 hood was hand-made like the 53 and 54 Caribbean hoods. The "scoops" were leaded in and all the lead defeated the springs so they had to install a prop rod. The 56 hoods were stamped out of sheet metal and did not have all the lead so they didn't need the prop rod. It is surprising they came up with a die for that limited hood, but that may be encompassed by the term "plastic tooling" which I still do not understand.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 0:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks for the hood update Randy. i'm learning new things today about the Caribs.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 6:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
does the 55 Carib hood have the centre support brace running the length of the hood like the 56 Carib hood?????

HH56. I doubt that they made new dies for the 56 carib hood. Probably just modified an existing die.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 6:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Probably right about all new die but still a considerable expense. Guess it must have been cheaper to make whatever changes to die rather than pay hand labor to do the mods.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 8:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Kevin-

Just the 1951 hood had the padding, not my 52. I'll try to get a more accurate thickness for you tomorrow.

-Carl

Posted on: 2009/5/6 2:16
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
The "plastic tooling" refers to a new type of die they were try'n. insted of being made of metal, the new dies were made of a reinforced plastic resin. I know i have made several refrences before, but here is another one. Good friend jeff Of m.a.p. brought this up at our regional meet when he did the presentation on the patents. he asked bob aller about them at the time. bob's response, best as i can remember, was that he had heard rumors about the process. however he stated that he had never seen any hard-copy info about it. this is another reason why i can't wait to see jeff at branson, i want to catch up on what he learned on this stuff since i got to see him last!

Posted on: 2009/5/11 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
BY the way kev. none of my cars (52-56) had the bracing welded. they were just like all the others shown so far. i have however had a few that had the sides of the hood reinforced. and it looked factory. i don't remember if i still have on of those. most of them were eaten up with rust.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 20:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved