Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replacing a Delco-Remy 4 connector regulator with a 3 connector on my 1937 115c
Just popping in
Just popping in

Paul White
See User information
I want to replace the original Delco-Remy 4 wire with a newer 3 wire but the ad says that alterations to the wiring needs to be done but what alterations they don't say. Has anyone done this replacement and what alterations need to be done.

Posted on: 2023/5/30 15:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Replacing a Delco-Remy 4 connector regulator with a 3 connector on my 1937 115c
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
No alterations required.
Wire #18 to the ignition switch is no longer used so could be cut off or taped up at the regulator end.

Posted on: 2023/5/30 17:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Replacing a Delco-Remy 4 connector regulator with a 3 connector on my 1937 115c
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are comparisons of the two regulator circuits taken from the 37-38 service manual.

Questions I would have would be on the third brush supplying voltage to the field coil. Is there a specific place it wants to be so there is full voltage output to the field that can be fully controlled by the new current and voltage sections or will the old setting still provide adequate voltage even if it was limiting max output before. Would wonder if it is better to disconnect the field inside the generator completely from that third brush and connect it to the output brush as is done on all later generators with the 3 coil modern style regulators.

Also the three coil regulators do need a good ground reference and Packard started adding a solid wire connection rather than relying on sheet metal.

Attach file:

jpg  gen:reg circuits.jpg (111.17 KB)
209_64767da296cf4.jpg 1920X864 px

Posted on: 2023/5/30 17:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved