Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 244

DaveJr, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1953 Packard-Correct connection of the fuel pump.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Hello gentlemen,
I would need further advice from you. Unfortunately, the previous owner removed the mechanical fuel pump and installed a 6V electric one. I have ordered a rebuilt pump from Max Merritt Auto. However, the original wiring is damaged . I'm not exactly sure how to connect everything properly. I believe I have it right based on the pictures, but could you confirm or correct me, please?

I don't know what the MAN terminal is used for. I also don't know what the two terminals on the wiper motor are used for
Once again, I don't know what this hose is used for. Is it connected to the inlet or outlet of the pump? As I mentioned before, the original pipes have been cut, so I have no reference to guide me

Thank you for any advice.

Attach file:

jpg  1.jpg (83.53 KB)
226278_6499d191b3891.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  2.jpg (92.21 KB)
226278_6499d1a4ca0e0.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  3.JPG (121.79 KB)
226278_6499d1b7691c2.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  IMG_4686 (768x1024).jpg (121.36 KB)
226278_6499d3960bbb1.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2023/6/26 13:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Packard-Correct connection of the fuel pump.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not exactly sure what you mean by MAN terminal?? If you are going exclusively to a mechanical pump there is nothing electrical involved so any damaged wiring associated with the old pump could be eliminated. If you plan on keeping the electric pump then depending on what type pump and how much pressure out it provides, possibly it could be reinstalled near the fuel tank for emergency and priming use if the car sits a long time between drives.

No idea how much of your original system is still present since you said the old pump was removed. There are a few fittings you will need. Normally those just transfer from one pump to another but if missing they, or something that will work, can be purchased -- although it may be more difficult to find US thread sizes in metric countries.

The small hose in the bottom photo is the connection between the end of the metal line coming from the fuel tank that is visible near the bottom right side of radiator. One end of the hose connects to the metal tube end and the other end of the hose goes to a 90 degree fitting on the inlet port of the fuel pump. The outlet side of the pump connects to a fitting and a longish curved metal tube that goes up to the carb and optional filter. On 51-2 pumps there is an air chamber also connected to the port on the outlet side of the pump. Later cars eliminated the air chamber but the hole may still be present so there must be a plug in any extra opening.

The upper half or vacuum side of the fuel pump is in series between the manifold and wiper motor. Most of the time the vacuum pump does nothing and will just work as an inline connection or pass thru for the steel vacuum lines. If manifold vacuum drops when the engine is under load or at full throttle then it comes into play providing enough vacuum to keep the wiper motor moving slowly.

To plumb it in there will be a metal tube from a port on the manifold just below the base of the carburetor. If the car has power brakes it will be a tee connection with a check valve and large hose going to the brakes. A smaller opening will connect to a steel tube which drops down and bends to head forward toward the fuel pump. Non power brakes just have a fitting and the small opening with the tube heading toward the pump. A few inches from the fuel pump the metal tube stops and a short length of rubber hose connects to the end of the metal tube and goes to a port on the fuel pump. It should have something like OUT as a label or if no marks, just move the pump arm and it will be the port where you feel air exiting. For the other tube to the wiper motor, when you move the arm you will feel suction at the IN port.

Another short length of hose connects the IN or vacuum port of the pump to another metal tube which heads back toward the firewall and wiper motor. A final short rubber hose connects the end of that tube to the inlet port on the passenger side of the wiper motor..

On the 53 wiper motor the port on front pointing downward is a vent and not used for anything else. The upper port on the drivers side is for the optional windshield washer used on 48 thru 53 cars. On those you turn the wiper control knob backwards and hold it against a spring for a few seconds which allows vacuum to connect to that port to operate the washer. In 54 (possibly sometime in late 53) Packard started using an optional washer that was electrically activated and connected to constant vacuum so that port was not used on those systems.

Here is a bit from the parts manual showing basics of the fuel pump layout. If you need something showing more details on the vacuum side tubing I can put something together and post it later.

Attach file:

jpg  fuel pump and tubing.jpg (218.25 KB)
209_6499de3ac53fd.jpg 1700X1390 px

Posted on: 2023/6/26 13:41
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Thank you for your honest response, and I apologize for my poor English, which may have caused some misunderstandings.
In the picture "2," there is a question mark next to the tube where it says MAN. Thanks to you, I now know what it means MANIFOLD and the hose is directed here.
(My intention is to completely get rid of the electric pump and only carry it as a backup in case of emergency).

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4696.JPG (88.05 KB)
226278_6499f71bc7ebf.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2023/6/26 15:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Thank you very much for the detailed description. I have looked at several photos and drawings, but they are not clear enough for me. Your description explains a lot, and if there were any photographs as well, it would be perfect. Unfortunately, no threaded pipes or fittings have been preserved; everything is cuted I will have to replace everything. Just to clarify, my fuel pump is labeled as follows M2049S.
The brake booster is not installed. Nevertheless, I'm glad that at least nothing is missing from the wiper motor. The windshield washers are also not part of the equipment, so both tube are bare.
Thank you once again for your help. If anyone has any photos of the connections, I would be very grateful. After all, it is better for me to understand what I see rather than what I read in a different language.

Posted on: 2023/6/26 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My apologies too. I didn't enlarge the photos enough to read the MAN and WIPER labels. MAN would be the same as OUT on other brand pumps and WIPER would be IN.

Posted on: 2023/6/26 16:01
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
That wasn't a problem, I understood,and thank you

Posted on: 2023/6/26 16:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have never seen a 1951-1954 pump like that! The labels are not on any of mine and the arm is quite different but maybe a later or even more modern replacement. Even the screws are different. For reference of how the arm typically looks, here is the one I recently rebuilt for my 1951 although I didn’t take any detailed photos but I know it is not labeled as yours is.

On the fuel outlet, you will need a brass adapter from the 1/8” NPT (National Pipe Thread) to the flair fitting of the steel line and if you don’t have it and don’t want to bend the line yourself, Classic Tube has replacements in both steel and stainless. I would also advise getting a stock glass-bowl filter and attach it to the carburetor, then connect the line to that even if you already have a non-stock inline filter somewhere. It will not only look proper but it will also let you see the fuel flow.

For the vacuum booster hoses, one connects to the wipers and the other connects to the intake manifold through steel tubes but your manifold fitting may have been plugged when the old pump was removed. I believe the steel line connected directly to it using another adapter, then went behind the manifold to the pump where it connected by way of a short piece of rubber hose. There was a bracket that held them in place. Again Classic Tube has these tubes pre-made but you’ll have to get the bracket through one of the dealers.

Attach file:

jpeg  1797CBAA-3DEE-4D83-AEDB-C5311C6CF66A.jpeg (187.54 KB)
60923_649a009e9c43f.jpeg 1280X958 px

Posted on: 2023/6/26 16:28
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Yes, you're right. That pump is indeed different. As I later found out, this pump is only for the 1953 Clipper model, while other models, including the 1953 model, have a pump like yours. I have no idea why, but it seems to be the case.
Thank you for the good advice and tips. I will first have to determine the actual condition of the pipes, and then I will decide. Ordering pre-made ones would certainly make my work easier, but considering the shipping costs to Europe and various taxes, it doesn't make financial sense for me.

Posted on: 2023/6/27 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Even my former all original 1953 Clipper Deluxe had the type I showed!

Posted on: 2023/6/27 11:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Interesting, for example, Max Merritt has it divided like that.

Attach file:

jpg  fp.JPG (88.52 KB)
226278_649b1680c7677.jpg 1541X791 px

Posted on: 2023/6/27 12:04
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved