Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: A variety of questions about newly acquired '54 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
steve, you mention that flapper like device on the manifold...

was that the heat riser on the EXHAUST, or is itan actual flapper on the Intake manifold?

If its a valveon the INTAKE, than i thinki know its purpose, but if its on the exhaust, i mustve missed something in my reading of this thread.

Welcome to the forum!

Posted on: 2009/5/8 20:42
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Davis
See User information
That odd part is on the intake manifold. There's nothing connected to it. Perhaps you can solve the mystery.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted on: 2009/5/11 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds to me like it might be the check valve for the vacuum reserve system, though a picture sure would be useful.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 10:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Davis
See User information
Thank you to everyone who has replied with helpful info and especially Brian, Howard and BigKev. The wiring diagram BigKev prepared is so much better than in the shop manual.

BigKev asked for my body number on firewall and plate on door jamb. Both numbers are the same and are: 5462-5901. I get the sense that this is a later 1954 model, is that your assessment?

I'll post some photos soon.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted on: 2009/5/11 19:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
With a 5462-5901, your car would have been the 4900th Super Clipper Touring Sedan off the assemble line. There were a total of 6,270 Super Clippers Sedan made. First number was 1001, and the last 7271. I'm thinking that your car probably had the standard Ultramatic and not the Gear-Start. Easiest way to check is to see if the there is a transmission dip stick near the firewall/steering column. If there is, then you have a gear-start, if there is not, then you have the standard Ultramatic.

Since you have a Super, you need to verify the brakes parts, and rims before replacing any parts. The Supers tend to have more in common with the '53 Juniors in that respect, while the Deluxes and Specials have more in common with the '55s.

Why Packard did this I have no idea. Everything else is the same. Your exterior trim is exactly the same as the Deluxe model (but not the Special). The only exterior difference between the Super and Deluxe model is the script. On the Supers it says 'Super', on the Deluxes it say 'Deluxe'. Other than that everything is identical. The Specials are different and have sparser trim.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 23:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Davis
See User information
BigKev,

Thanks for the statistics on my Clipper. I have the conventional Ultramatic. Thankfully an access panel was created in the floor to enable easier checking of the transmission fluid.

Thanks too for the tip on watching out for brake parts as I do plan to have brake work done. The front brakes had been redone including hoses.

Is the script "Super" and "Clipper" supposed to be on the trunk with "Super" to the left of the lock/emblem and "Clipper" to the right? A former owner apparently acquired the script but had not installed it. I guess the trunk had been worked on. Someone installed block lettering "Clipper" to the right of the trunk lock; the same block lettering that appears on the rear doors.

Thanks for all your continued help and dedication with this great website.

---Steve

Posted on: 2009/5/12 16:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Then L/R side "Clipper" trim script is the same part number as the one on the trunk (block letter style), and also is the same style as the Super and Deluxe script. On the truck it should read:

CLIPPER (*) SUPER or CLIPPER (*) DELUXE in my case. I know this from how the paint was faded into my trunk lid. I have NOS Clipper and the Deluxe scripts for the trunk lid that I bought awhile back, but I have not been able to find two good ones for the rear doors. The search continues. Also those scripts are unique to the '54 Clipper. There are other Block style ones, but they are the wrong size and wont line up with the mounting holes.

Also on the right side of the trunk lid, but higher up, you should have a small "Packard" script that is mounted at a 45 degree (or so) angle.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 19:57
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here are a few picture of the correct side script, trunk script, and the Packard script.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.34 KB)
1_4a0a1f5ab434d.jpg 500X337 px

jpg  (63.87 KB)
1_4a0a1f6bb199e.jpg 800X574 px

jpg  (7.39 KB)
1_4a0a1f7751025.jpg 392X214 px

Posted on: 2009/5/12 20:16
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Here's a question, does anyone know if the later '55-'56 Ultramatic transmission pans will fit the earlier transmissions? It would be an easy way to add a dipstick, since it's in the pan.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
I've got the pan off of my 52 ultramatic, I could trace the pan / gasket / flange / holes onto a large sheet of paper and mail it to you...

Posted on: 2009/5/12 21:51
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved