Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Paint and Trim Codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
On the data plate in my 1955 Four Hundred, I have found the paint codes in this website and in other places, but I am confused as to the meaning of "trim code." Does that refer to interior appointments? And is there a reference somewhere that lists those codes and what they are? I would appreciate any educating you can provide.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 7:50
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: Paint and Trim Codes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It refers to the upholstery. You can download the 55 dealer showroom album from the literature archive and find the codes as well as a sample of the upholstery material. Other parts of the book show how models are differentiated by chrome or upholstery pattern and various paint combinations. The 55 dealer album is in the salesmen and dealer information category

Posted on: 2023/7/8 8:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thank you. I found that pretty easily. I do have one more question. The car I just bought has had the upholstery redone. It is light and dark blue leather, and I don't see leather in the literature. Was leather available as a special-order option or was this interior done incorrectly to suit a previous owner? Sorry to say, not much history or information came with the car.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 8:47
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember reading in one of the books that while full leather interiors were confined mostly to convertibles, leather could be had by special order and at extra cost in all models. Being a non standard item there were probably some restrictions on color combinations and it might have needed styling approval as did some special order trim and body color combinations. Don't have documentation stating this is fact but perhaps someone else can confirm, deny, or elaborate.

As to your car, I believe if the leather was a special order from the factory your trim code would either be blank or would be a number not found in the regular lists. If it has one of the standard trim codes then I believe a previous owner or dealer might have had it installed.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 9:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thank you again. This is very helpful. I'm glad to know that this interior could have been special ordered, as I was hoping it wasn't non-authentic. It's a very good upholstering job and looks nice. I wasn't going to replace it in any case, just enjoy it.

Many years go I met a man in California who had a beautiful 400 with all leather interior. I didn't ask many questions at the time as to whether he got it by special order, redone by an upholstery shop, etc. Now guessing it was by special order.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 9:36
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Without documentation it really is hard to say if yours is special order or owner done. Back when they were just used cars anything was possible when an owner "restored" a car. I remember in the 80s a fellow in Southern Calif had a 56 400 with an all leather interior. His was not factory but was one he had done by an upholstery shop in Tijuana.

Upholstery job was beautiful but he used to get great mileage telling about the lesson he learned when he thought he was saving so much having it done in Mexico. Went on to tell the story that when the car came back from the shop, after a few days he started noticing an odor that was not the new leather. Turned out some of the padding they used was straw apparently fresh from a stable and that was what he had started smelling. Don't remember if he took it back to Tijuana or just had new padding done locally but said he definitely learned that you get what you pay for.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 10:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Since it seems all leather was available, if the upholstery is in the original pattern and grain, I would consider it authentic. If you repaint the exterior in color(s) which were available, but different from the one your car left the factory with, it's still considered authentic.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
My Clipper Custom is orginal with leather seats.I guess it was special ordered by owner.The trim code is 6. I have not found leather in the literature.

Posted on: 2023/7/11 5:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Leather wasn't really pictured in the brochures, but it was a factory option. Trim code 6 for 2 tone green leather.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1955_1_Paint.pdf

Posted on: 2023/7/11 9:33
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
For example, on the 400 section of the brochure, not only is my trim code not shown (81, sardonyx leather bolster, tan lurex facing, white accent), but they only show 2 of the 3 fabrics on each trim code.

Of course on the large bolster color sections like on the door cards, they used vinyl (except the armrests which are leather).

Posted on: 2023/7/11 9:40
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved