Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 107

Merle, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

VIN number
Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill Goodman
See User information
Did Packard use engine no. as the VIN no? I have a 1924 Packard roadster and need to know if on my title the vehicle id should be the engine no. or the number on the firewall brass plaque? Someone help me with my dilemma.

Posted on: 2023/7/17 20:06
 Top  Print   

Re: VIN number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe for many years it mostly depended on what the state in which the car was sold or located wanted to use. Not sure about cars as early as 1924 but from at least the early 30s on Packard did provide an official vehicle number different from the motor number. In 1955 they became the same.

In most cases the VN was the number supposed to be and was used for registration. Even so, some states officially went by the motor number even though that number could change if an engine was replaced. In that occurrence states sometimes assigned their own numbers as has been evidenced by some very strange motor numbers owners here on the forum have found on their cars and in paperwork.

Not sure exactly when that motor number use officially ended -- probably around 1981 when the federal government said a standard format VIN was required on every vehicle and that number was to be used.

Posted on: 2023/7/17 20:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved