Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Noise-Worn Valve Guide???
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Could a very worn valve guide allow the valve to make a tapping sound reminiscent of a bad lifter??

Attach file:

jpg  20230717_215206.jpg (165.73 KB)
226104_64b61e840716f.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/7/18 0:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Noise-Worn Valve Guide???
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I actually don't know if that could be a problem, but my guess would be a bad lifter. Partly just replying so this could be bumped to the top.

Here is a thread, with a link to some more threads, on Valve Guides removal replacement.

Valve Guide Removal Thread

Posted on: 2023/7/19 12:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did you look at the head to make sure one or more valves was not hitting the top of the combustion chamber. That can happen if head was milled a tiny smidge too much.

Have you verified the oil filler tube is inserted correctly and a counterweight is not lightly tapping the baffle plate. While the noise would be coming from the other side and be very repetitive with crank rotation, it can sound like a lifter under the right circumstances.

Posted on: 2023/7/19 12:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
For reference, here is a thread on the oil fill tube

Oil Fill Tube Orientation

Posted on: 2023/7/19 13:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I think this is mostly likely my problem and regardless needs to be corrected. Doing valve guides and new exhaust valves while it's apart.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Did you look at the head to make sure one or more valves was not hitting the top of the combustion chamber. That can happen if head was milled a tiny smidge too much.

Have you verified the oil filler tube is inserted correctly and a counterweight is not lightly tapping the baffle plate. While the noise would be coming from the other side and be very repetitive with crank rotation, it can sound like a lifter under the right circumstances.

Yes, no issues there!

Posted on: 2023/7/25 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
For reference, here is a thread on the oil fill tube

Oil Fill Tube Orientation

I know what this sounds like! My filler tube was out of sorts when I very first started my engine and it sounded terrible! Luckly I noticed right away the that filler tube was dancing a bit. Got it cleaned and straightened up, then used a bit of locktite to keep it in place.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 9:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved