Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

R H, DavidPackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

rear wheel bearing seals, 22nd series custom 8, 1949
Just popping in
Just popping in

Galahad
See User information
Greetings all,

I have the rear brake drum off the 49 Custom 8...and, as I look in, I can see the timken bearings...without any obvious seal between those bearings and the brake drum, shoes, etc. Rear brakes were replaced by previous owner. Is there or should there be a seal of some sort to hold grease in to the bearing, and not allowing it in the brake drum...or does the back side of the brake drum magically hold the grease in the axle housing...any experience or photos will be appreciate. Thanks. Michael

Posted on: 2023/7/30 20:25
 Top  Print   

Re: rear wheel bearing seals, 22nd series custom 8, 1949
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is an inner seal between the bearing and differential to keep oil contained inside the case. An outer seal held in a retainer on the front side of the backing plate is supposed to contain the bearing grease.

Any oil or grease that gets past the seals is directed to a guard which is essentially an enclosed space where any captured oil can drip down and exit thru a hole at the bottom of the guard. That oil is directed to the rear side of the backing plate away from any brake components or lining.

Here is an illustration from the parts book with the position of the backing plate in the layout noted. There is a photo of the outer seal and retainer assy on ScottG's post about his 55 which has essentially the same layout and axle seal detail as your 49.

Attach file:

jpg  rear axle.jpg (141.59 KB)
209_64c71c097f6a1.jpg 1724X1506 px

Posted on: 2023/7/30 21:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved