Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiring taillights and turn signals 1948 Packard woody
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I’ve been completing my wiring. It has been quite a job. How can I check that I’ve got power to my lights and signals.? Where do I start and in what sequence?
My original car wiring has 3 wires coming from the column under the dash. I’m not sure how to connect it up? I assume 2 are turn signals but what about the third?
Thanks for your help

Posted on: 2023/8/1 0:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring taillights and turn signals 1948 Packard woody
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The wire coolers are probably faded but the orange wire is for the right signal and the white wire is for the left. These two wires go to wiring harness connectors on the left hand side under the dash. The third wire is black and goes to the "L" terminal on the signal flasher which is under the dash next to the speedometer (unless the flasher has been replaced then you will have to search for it).

Posted on: 2023/8/1 0:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a simplified drawing showing the wiring for the 48 turn signal circuit. As BDeB said, two of the switch wires from the column connect into 3 way inline connectors that should be on the left under the dash. Those connectors also mate with two short wires coming out of the main loom and another two wires coming from the body loom going to the rear.

For 48 the flasher should be a round can like object with 3 screw terminals on the end. That item is mounted to the cluster just above the speedometer. The black wire from the switch will connect to the screw terminal labeled L on the flasher.

Attach file:

jpg  48 22nd series turn signal extraction.jpg (56.11 KB)
209_64c915a1691a8.jpg 1169X1295 px

Posted on: 2023/8/1 8:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
Howard sent an excellent explanation of the headlight switch and it’s operation for the ‘48 288
I somehow deleted it. I would be grateful if he could resend it.
Packwagon.

Posted on: 2023/8/12 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is this post in your other thread the one you are looking for?

Posted on: 2023/8/12 23:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved