Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 243

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic output shaft seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
This weekend's project is to replace the boot on my 53 Cavalier's u-joint.

While I have things apart I plan on replacing my transmission output shaft seal and servicing the rear universal joint. I know replacing the boot is a bit tricky and I have no intention of removing the pin and ending up with my drive shaft out of balance. But are there any tricks, tips, or things to be cautious of?

Attach file:

jpg  Boot.JPG (27.23 KB)
226104_65020c9f66e0e.jpg 342X275 px

jpg  Trans Output Shaft Seal.JPG (36.73 KB)
226104_65020ca7a8b15.jpg 414X346 px

Posted on: 2023/9/13 14:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic output shaft seal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea what type boot might be available today but Packard issued a service boot that could be installed without touching the pin. If yours is anything similar maybe it would work using the same instructions that start on page 27 of the July, 52 Service Counselor.

On the seal, Packard designed a tool to make the job easier. From the looks of it the shaft can stay in place and it just drives the seal in to the proper depth. Finding that tool might be difficult but maybe something similar could be made following the general design. Maybe a piece of pipe with a shaft collar clamped around it at the point needed to drive the seal to the correct depth. Tool is shown on page 24 of the June, 51 Service Counselor.

Posted on: 2023/9/13 14:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:
This weekend's project is to replace the boot on my 53 Cavalier's u-joint.

While I have things apart I plan on replacing my transmission output shaft seal and servicing the rear universal joint. I know replacing the boot is a bit tricky and I have no intention of removing the pin and ending up with my drive shaft out of balance. But are there any tricks, tips, or things to be cautious of?

Thanks Howard!

I got the correct boot from Kanter and there is a method for getting it on without removing the pin, just a bit fussy, but that's okay. I think the service boots were ones that wrapped around and were intended as a temporary fix.

As long as getting the output shaft seal out isn't too complicated, I should be able to get the new one back in. It should all become clear as I take things apart.

Posted on: 2023/9/13 16:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I see the service boot was still one piece but was made of different material that could withstand the forces to get it over the pin then shoved back and pulled thru the housing and out the back end.

Posted on: 2023/9/13 16:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
From what I see the service boot was still one piece but was made of different material that could withstand the forces to get it over the pin then shoved back and pulled thru the housing and out the back end.

That makes sense, and that's my plan! There's a good YouTube video on doing this.

https://youtu.be/KBtEgMJFis8?si=V1IsrpaJ9cCDiJk8

Posted on: 2023/9/13 21:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved