Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

Ross, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
DiamondBack can also do custom whitewall sizes and styles as shown here in the original style for my 1965 Cadillac. These are also in the Auburn series and is the first time in many, many decades that this once-everyday driver has had something other than non-stock alloy wheels! Of course, it was like putting lipstick on a pig. Point is, if you need a special width or style, ask them!

Attach file:

jpeg  3E972E85-1C65-41CC-A8AC-D41693910DA6.jpeg (177.11 KB)
60923_651720a5dfb7a.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2023/9/29 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
DiamondBack can also do custom whitewall sizes and styles as shown here in the original style for my 1965 Cadillac. These are also in the Auburn series and is the first time in many, many decades that this once-everyday driver has had something other than non-stock allow wheels! Of course, it was like putting lipstick on a pig. Point is, if you need a special width or style, ask them!

That's good to know, thank you! The Caddy looks pretty solid! A cruising machine!

Posted on: 2023/9/29 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you! These long Fleetwood Sixty Special sedans (133” wheelbase) are fun to drive but compared to my 1965 Imperial LeBaron and, of course, my Packards they are a bit flimsy. It was fully mechanically rebuilt at the time but I parked all my cars at one point so this one sat in my front yard under pine trees for many, many years. It actually didn’t look much better than this when I used to drive it. From sitting, it needed quite a but of work just to get it running again and, of course, the then-rebuilt suspension is all rotten now so needs work but it is licensed and insured in case I want to go on a test drive!

Posted on: 2023/9/29 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Thank you! These long Fleetwood Sixty Special sedans (133” wheelbase) are fun to drive but compared to my 1965 Imperial LeBaron and, of course, my Packards they are a bit flimsy. It was fully mechanically rebuilt at the time but I parked all my cars at one point so this one sat in my front yard under pine trees for many, many years. It actually didn’t look much better than this when I used to drive it. From sitting, it needed quite a but of work just to get it running again and, of course, the then-rebuilt suspension is all rotten now so needs work but it is licensed and insured in case I want to go on a test drive!

My car requires LOTS of "test drives". Doesn't matter what I do, I feel the need to take if for a test drive. Change the oil, go for a test drive. Over haul the instrument cluster, go for a test drive. Salvage the 1969 inspection sticker from the windshield, go for a test drive. LOL

Posted on: 2023/9/29 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I like that! I’ve driven this and my 1954 Patrician since they’ve been at my Oregon shop only around the block. The block consists of going down the driveway to the community private gravel road (which is mostly dirt), around the corner and up a few hundred feet to my mother’s driveway next door, then back down a private pathway between the two properties. With the Cadillac the bumps and ruts are not felt at all but I do feel them in the Packard as it’s quite bouncy! I can’t wait to try the same route in my 1956 Clipper Custom if I ever get it running again. Its Torsion-Level Ride should make a major difference!

Posted on: 2023/9/29 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
What do you have for tires on your Patrician? Is it in need of shocks? My wife and I just went to visit my folks, 410 mile round trip, and even with the old bias plys we were quite pleased at how comfortable/quiet the ride was. The shocks are not too "bad", but they are probably in need of replacement. The rear shocks will be part of my rear spring project, the driver's side is sitting a bit low.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My Patrician was stored in the garage for the duration and still has the 8.00 X 15 bias ply Sears Allstate Guardsman tires that were on it when I drove it regularly. My Clipper also has the 7.60 X 15 version and I have a set of nice wire wheels that I may not use with, I believe, 8.20 X 15 Allstate Guardsmans. The tires on the Clipper and those on the wire wheels, while old, show no signs of weathering but I would not want to drive them on the highway!

The shocks were put in back then too and still seem fine but i don’t recall what they are.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 18:30
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I have a set of Diamond back 225-75-15 on my 53 Cavalier that I put on about 20 years ago. They still look good and have plenty of tread. The speedometer reads right on.
In 2020, I put a set of Diamondback 225-75-15 3.375" whitewall on my 54 Convertible. I ordered them from Performance Plus Tire Center in Long Beach, CA. The price was the same as from Diamondback but Performance paid the shipping so saved a few $ there.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 21:56
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
New shocks may be needed, but they will not address leaning. The springs support the car, not the shocks.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 22:13
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved