Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

Hutmo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Ultramatic Disassembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I've never seen one of the band tabs broken. Congratulations on finding a new failure mode.

The silvery paste is actually babbit. The bushing in the ring gear WAS babbit lined, as was the inner bushing of the rear pump.

Betcha every trace of that is gone and the fit of the ring gear on the pump nose will be horrible. On rebuilds I drill an extra oil feed for that one.

Posted on: 2023/10/12 7:03
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Haha, thanks.

I did notice a significant amount of play in the direction normal to the axis as I was disassembling. I'll inspect what you are mentioning specifically later.

Is there any way to renew the babbitt lining? If not, do you just ignore the slop, or install some type of bushing?

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20231012_115935.jpg (110.46 KB)
225076_65281951c7232.jpg 1440X1182 px

Posted on: 2023/10/12 11:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
For disassembling the high range clutch assembly, what equipment should be used in lieu of the PK-304 spring compressor?

Posted on: 12/25 17:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I do mine in my shop press with the aide of a couple pieces of steel welded together. Will try to take a picture tomorrow.

In regards to your babbit query, the new bushings in the rebuild kit will be babbit lined in that location.

Posted on: 12/25 18:50
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Ross, I suppose I will have to figure something out for this tool. Possibly make something subtractively from pipe or something. I'm sure I could 3D print something from metal, but it would not be cheap – probably $100 to print.

Posted on: 12/25 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Disassembled the valve body today (on my front porch in 20° weather 🥶) and there wasn't too much surprising. Main question I have is whether the #6 and #8 valves in the rear lower body should be removed; if so, how? I noticed they appear to be clipped in but I'm not sure how to get that off.

Unsurprisingly there was tons of gunk. The throttle valve and low-high shift valve in particular I doubt would have worked well in this state. Before and after pics of the low-high valve below. Also noticed some rusting on the ends of some valves.

Overall was pretty smooth but I had to bend a pick to remove the #2 valve in the rear lower body as it was a bit stuuuck.

Attach file:

jpg  20240115_182103.jpg (211.18 KB)
225076_65a5d78b9ce3e.jpg 1185X1058 px

jpg  20240115_181632.jpg (427.87 KB)
225076_65a5d8550bf64.jpg 2377X923 px

jpg  20240115_181818.jpg (554.92 KB)
225076_65a5d85c07f45.jpg 2852X957 px

Posted on: 1/15 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Finally got done with the main disassembly. Only the low range brake, and the propeller shaft, I was not able to do much with. The high range clutch I was able to take apart and reassemble with no special tools, but only at significant difficulty. I may try to make a tool for that sometime.

The reverse brake took a larger than expected amount of force to disassemble, but was in good condition other than that.

Posted on: 1/27 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Spud.

When you get to band lever.

Knock the roll pin out. To see if strut is broken.

If they are..

2 options.. one I can make you 2 from chrome moly.

Or I have NOS struts.

No charge..

Also

The levers. have a pin. Remove it.

And. You let the lever rotate around pin.

Then.

Use a spacer to center lever.

I made thick aluminum ones
Kevin used. Washers.

Posted on: 1/27 21:39
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks RH, I will have to check on it. This transmission is only for parts, though I will be using some parts on a 56 Nash style to make it into a 56 Packard style. Probably the bands and such parts I will not need to have intact on the trans but it's worth checking.

Shortly, when the weather is nicer, I will be disassembling my 56 Nash transmission also. Probably in the same thread.

Posted on: 1/28 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I stumbled on this post. The OP says the "previous owner" that rebuilt a lot of Twin Ultra's had this list of modifications. I am attaching the list here, and I transcribed it below.

- Remove the vent from the left side of the case. Plug the opening. Drill and tap a hole in the tail shaft housing above the speedometer drive for a 1/8 inch pipe to 1/4 inch flare fitting with a 45° flare outlet. Manufacture a steel or copper quarter inch tube to run from the fitting parallel to the case to the transmission to engine mating point. Secure by clamps at the tail shaft housing to main case mating ?? bolt. And tap a 10–32 hole for front clamp on top center of the bell housing.
- Drill a reduction gear bushing lubrication hole at the 12 o’clock position and midway front to rear. Packard did this in the late 1956’s.
- Enlarge the oil passage from the rear pump outlet to the reduction gear bushing to 13/64”. This is for lubrication of the bearing and to supply oil pressure for governor control pressure operation.
- Install an ⅛” inch hole in the rear pump check valve to provide lubrication of the reduction gear rear bushing journal from the front pump when the car is not moving.
- Put lubrication hole at 12 o’clock position for reduction gear.

The first line appears to be the "breather relocation" as described in the SB's, i.e.:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SB-319.pdf

For the two notes on a "reduction gear bushing lubrication hole", it sounds the same as something Ross mentioned earlier in this thread. Though I am unsure of the exact location in question.

Attach file:

jpg  ultramatic notes from some guy.jpg (108.83 KB)
225076_65b678deea9fc.jpg 460X600 px

Posted on: 1/28 11:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved