Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Another one!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Hello,
Went to Charleston SC this past weekend and was surprised whenI went to visit the USS Yorktown museum. Lo and behold I found this! A 1938 Packard military staff car on board. It was in good condition inside and out considering it was aboard an aircraft carrier hangar deck, in the harbor. Wish I could attach more pics , but space here is limited. Please if you are in Charleston, go see the Yorktown, it is well worth it.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_5083.jpeg (50.76 KB)
226376_653856418d2e5.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/10/24 18:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Another one!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I thought we lost the Yorktown at Midway.

Trivia: today is the anniversary of the Battle of Samar. If you don't know about it, Google it. David vs Godzilla, and we fought 'em to a standstill.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 0:12
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
From the USS Yorktown National Park Service website:

"Named for the CV-5 aircraft carrier that was sunk during the Battle of Midway, the new USS Yorktown had a distinguished war record, receiving 11 battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation for its World War II services. During World War II, the USSYorktown fought against the Japanese for more than two years, inflicting heavy damage on the Japanese at Truk and the Marianas, helping sink the largest battleship ever built, the Imperial Japanese Navy'sYamato and supporting American ground troops in the Philippines, at Iwo Jima and at Okinawa. The USS Yorktown was converted for jet use in 1955 with the addition of a new angled flight deck, hurricane bow and flight deck. It then served as an anti-submarine carrier in Vietnam. In 1968 the Essex class carrier was used to recover the crew of Apollo 8, the first manned mission to orbit the moon. Before being decommissioned in 1970, the USS Yorktown had a notable career in the service of the United States."

I did not know this. Kind of confusing this far out in time.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 7:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Neither did I. Thanks for not being too lazy to Google it and for showing it to us.

At least I hadn't lost my mind about the Midway ship.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 10:55
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved