Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door lock removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I'm pulling my interior to give it a overhaul this winter and all 4 of my door locks don't want to come off. I'm going to try warming them up a bit, but I don't want to break them as they are all in good condition. Any good tricks for getting them off undamaged?

Attach file:

jpg  Door Lock.jpg (214.92 KB)
226104_653c4068b0825.jpg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 2023/10/27 17:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Door lock removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those may be the rubber knobs and if so, heat is the answer. You can use a heat gun but be careful to protect the paint and lower the glass so you can get all sides of the knob. It needs to be heated to around 150F. A description of the knobs are in this service counselor.

There are two types of rods. One is round with serrations that sort of look like threads and the other is a thin straight flat sided sheet metal piece with sharp barbs. That second type rod and knob combo can be hard to remove and knob may still be damaged as it is pulled off. Just be careful and not twist when removing or the sheet metal piece can break. If pulling the knob off makes a groove inside you can usually reuse the knob by heating again and orient the barbs to a different spot in the knob as it is pushed back on.

Posted on: 2023/10/27 18:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I was thinking 1960's and that they screwed on!

I'll try a little heat and see what happens. I always hate "experimenting", I don't want to hurt my car!

Attach file:

jpg  Door Lock 2.jpg (229.54 KB)
226104_653c4719a06fd.jpg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 2023/10/27 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Those may be the rubber knobs and if so, heat is the answer. You can use a heat gun but be careful to protect the paint and lower the glass so you can get all sides of the knob. It needs to be heated to around 150F. A description of the knobs are in this service counselor.

Thank you Howard! I suspect this is applicable as I'm working on my 53 Cavalier.

Posted on: 2023/10/27 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
THANK YOU HOWARD!!!

These are definitely the rubber door locks. A couple of minutes with my heat gun, a little wiggle and it came off! Without that Service Counselor I may have wrecked one trying to figure out how to get them off.

Love this forum!!!

Attach file:

jpg  Door Lock 3.jpg (332.13 KB)
226104_653c4b52a6f8d.jpg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 2023/10/27 18:45
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved