Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Performance parts for 282 (intake, exhaust, etc)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
We are positive. You positively need to get a 327 or a 359, port the damned thing, get a 4-barrel manifold and an Edelbrock - or maybe convert to 12V and do one of those learn-as-you-go EFI things - make some headers and do duals, and look into a head swap for compression. And maybe a blower.

I'm trying to talk myself out of another road trip for another 359 . . . .

Posted on: 12/2 13:38
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
We kicked this around pretty good in the modifications section a few years back so you might search the site before re-hashing issues.
There are people who have added turbo or blower that's about the best you're going to get. The Edmunds stuff will make it look pretty. This is not a hi-compression V-8 with bolt on HP additions. If I'm not mistaken the 327 is a stroked 282/same bore, but apparently some other changes that don't make it a drop in crank as one would with a SBC 350/400 to get 383? That's came up before many times, too.
If you don't change the camshaft, you're not going to benefit with fuel add and the stock carb is adequate. You have to commission a special grind, not available. Not sure you'll find anyone that knows how these daze. Isky Ed is closing in on 100. With the L-head, not much in the way of piston help for compression. It's got torq and depends on gearing to move. If you want a hot rod, then that's another modification discussion. There's a few '40s Ps that have been upgraded/dropped in running around. Any search will produce photos. But going faster means a lot of other upgrades to handle the HP/speed loads.
I haven't seen any dyno data on making changes to L-8s, so it's all hearsay w/o.

Posted on: 12/3 22:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The 327 is a stroked 288. The 288 replaced the 282 for the 22nd series

Posted on: 12/4 5:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
And the 359 is a poked-n-stroked 327.

Posted on: 12/4 12:43
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved