Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Performance parts for 282 (intake, exhaust, etc)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Was anything ever produced for these engines, such as 4BBL intake, separate intake/header etc..? I'm sure they weren't made in large numbers, but if there is anything out there someone has sitting around (whether it was mass produced or custom made) I would be interested in it.

I'd also be interested in a GM transmission adapter. I know they make them for the later straight 8s, but haven't seen them for the 282 blocks.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/11/27 20:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Performance parts for 282 (intake, exhaust, etc)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
1941Packard wrote:......Was anything ever produced for these engines........

Short answer is yes. Specifically by Edmunds who made a finned Aluminium (Aluminum) head and also a 2 x 2bbl intake manifold. I don't know of any other 282 specific performance parts. Owners might have fabricated custom exhaust headers or 4bbl intake manifolds themselves. I think{?} there could have been other manufacturers but Edmunds is the most well known.

Edmunds "stuff" does come up for sale ocasionally, you just have to keep an eye out for it.

Otherwise one way to get some horsepower gains out of your 282 would be a good old fashioned port and polish job on the intakes and exhausts. Probably 20hp in that? Another way would be to mill the head to increase the compression ratio. BUT you have to be very careful doing this because there's not much clearance between the valve heads and combustion chambers on those engines

Posted on: 2023/11/28 0:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Quote:
1941Packard wrote:......Was anything ever produced for these engines........

Short answer is yes. Specifically by Edmunds who made a finned Aluminium (Aluminum) head and also a 2 x 2bbl intake manifold. I don't know of any other 282 specific performance parts. Owners might have fabricated custom exhaust headers or 4bbl intake manifolds themselves. I think{?} there could have been other manufacturers but Edmunds is the most well known.

Edmunds "stuff" does come up for sale ocasionally, you just have to keep an eye out for it.

Otherwise one way to get some horsepower gains out of your 282 would be a good old fashioned port and polish job on the intakes and exhausts. Probably 20hp in that? Another way would be to mill the head to increase the compression ratio. BUT you have to be very careful doing this because there's not much clearance between the valve heads and combustion chambers on those engines

I appreciate your response! I was not aware anything was made for the 282. I would definitely be interested in a head/intake if anyone has them laying around.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/11/28 0:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
From the For What It's Worth Department:

As an owner of 3 of the 282 engines, one in a driver, I think that the best high performance part that you could install would be a 327. That would be the equivalent of boring it a quarter inch (I believe the stroke is the same). I wouldn't spend a nickel on trying to improve a 282.

But, it is yours, so do what you like and have fun doing it.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 10:45
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Wat_Tyler wrote:
From the For What It's Worth Department:

As an owner of 3 of the 282 engines, one in a driver, I think that the best high performance part that you could install would be a 327. That would be the equivalent of boring it a quarter inch (I believe the stroke is the same). I wouldn't spend a nickel on trying to improve a 282.

But, it is yours, so do what you like and have fun doing it.

I would definitely take a 327/359 if anyone has one laying around and they will bolt right into my 41. I can also run a GM transmission with one of those engines as there are adapter plates and probably a little more availability on heads/intakes, but still rare..

Posted on: 2023/11/28 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It’s major work to put a modern transmission into a pre-1951 Packard due to the motor mounts. Packard had a single one up front and a pair at the transmission. Those rear transmission supports would not work with a modern transmission so you would have to post 1950 engine, then add the mounts to the frame to accept it.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 12:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
It’s major work to put a modern transmission into a pre-1951 Packard due to the motor mounts. Packard had a single one up front and a pair at the transmission. Those rear transmission supports would not work with a modern transmission so you would have to post 1950 engine, then add the mounts to the frame to accept it.

Yea, I assume the transmission mount would have to be cut/welded. As well as a custom driveshaft would be needed.

This place sells the adapter plates:https://transmissionadapters.com/products/packard-288-327-359-straight-8-to-chevy-automatic-transmission

Posted on: 2023/11/28 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Both the transmission and engine mounts would have to be totally engineered and fabricated AND you would need to use a post 1950 engine which has the mounts on the sides. Pre-1951, there was only a single engine mount right at the front.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 13:27
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Shop until you drop. Last year, I scored a 327 with a bell housing and the 3-speed (no o/d) attached for under $500. It was allegedly out of a '54 Clipper.

It can be done.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 17:50
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I have an Edmunds 2x2 for the 120/282 Motor. While HP gains can be had with a 288/327/359 motor, I say with experience that the point is lost once you click into overdrive. A 120 with overdrive will get you there just as fast(**) as engineering a later motor. Actually MUCH faster as you will be back on the road earlier without having to re-invent the driveline.

PM me your phone number and we can discuss ransom.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 20:37
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved