Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Treadle-vac replacement, ABS Power Brake kit
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
The new pedal is higher than the OE from the toe plate. The new pedal is about 6" from the toe plate to the top of the pad. The new pedal is lower from the column/closer to the floor pan and higher from the toe plate and closer to the accelerator pedal than the OE pedal. The pedal has to be higher from the toe plate to have enough travel for the dual circuit master. The Treadle-vac has almost no travel. For me it's not an issue and I can drive it just fine that way. It's definitely not perfect but it is the best solution vs fabricating and hacking up the car and loosing the crotch vent.

If anyone has ever driven a Packard with manual brakes or any vintage car, you have to lift your foot to go from the accelerator to the brake. It was the norm. The heel pivoting is a newer concept. I've rather have to lift my foot then drive with the 3 fatal flaws treadle-vac. But I can pivot my foot, so it's a multiple win for me.

Earl

Posted on: 2/6 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Mopar_Earl wrote:
The new pedal is higher than the OE from the toe plate. The new pedal is about 6" from the toe plate to the top of the pad. The new pedal is lower from the column/closer to the floor pan and higher from the toe plate and closer to the accelerator pedal than the OE pedal. The pedal has to be higher from the toe plate to have enough travel for the dual circuit master. The Treadle-vac has almost no travel. For me it's not an issue and I can drive it just fine that way. It's definitely not perfect but it is the best solution vs fabricating and hacking up the car and loosing the crotch vent.

If anyone has ever driven a Packard with manual brakes or any vintage car, you have to lift your foot to go from the accelerator to the brake. It was the norm. The heel pivoting is a newer concept. I've rather have to lift my foot then drive with the 3 fatal flaws treadle-vac. But I can pivot my foot, so it's a multiple win for me.

Earl

Thanks for the info. With my current set up I have to lift my foot off the gas and over to the brake pedal, so that wouldn't change for me. And my pedal sticks out much further than original. But my braking power with the current setup is not great. Unfortunately if I ever change it out I will have a big hole in the firewall that I would need to fix.

Posted on: 2/6 13:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Kevinpackard,
Have we discussed you setup? I don't recall if it was you or someone else I talked to about their setup. Either your booster is too small, master cylinder bore is incorrect or the pedal ratio. Do you know the answer to those items?

Earl

Posted on: 2/11 13:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Sure glad I wasn't driving the car till the treadle-vac is converted. I was taking pics for ABS Brake and I lifted the OE booster up finding the underside covered in brake fluid. The previous owner said I could hop in the car and drive it across the country. Lol Mind you it has 30 plus year old all cracked up tires on it too. Guess he likes to live on the edge. Lol

The earlier cars have an area cut out in the toe plate for the accelerator pedal rod. The later cars must of moved the throttle rod further right as their toe plates don't have this notch. So they want to add it. I told them it's no big deal as I will trim it with my plasma cutter when I cut the clutch hole in the new toe plate.I sent their builder a ton of pics and measurements. Sounds like they are going to borrow my OE plate. This should allow them to cover the earlier cars better.

Earl

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20240212_175803116.jpg (3,997.47 KB)
226490_65cab9597164d.jpg 4080X3072 px

Posted on: 2/12 19:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Some pics that maybe beneficial.

Eael

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20240212_182307492.jpg (4,803.72 KB)
226490_65cab9f3eb669.jpg 4080X3072 px

jpg  IMG_20240212_174733612.jpg (5,060.86 KB)
226490_65caba0ce113b.jpg 4080X3072 px

Posted on: 2/12 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The question I have has anyone used this booster/master cylinder on a drum braked car with torsion level suspension. Brake pedal being higher than stock not a problem in my view as most old cars had brake pedal higher than throttle as well as clutch. Looks like best replacement for tredlevac being new parts as apposed to 68 year old parts .

Posted on: 2/13 12:06
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
I can't speak for the torsion suspension part, but the ABS kit would work on drums. Just let them know as you wouldn't want the 1 1//8" bore on drums. You'd want a 1" bore or smaller for drum/drum power brakes. You'd also need a 10 psi residual valves front and rear on drum/drum as close to the master as possible. That keeps the cups expanded in the wheel cylinders and makes up for the overcoming of the springs. Will keep your pedal travel down and firm.

Earl

Posted on: 2/13 13:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew Sinclair
See User information
This looks like a great kit. Is this something they have available to order or did they custom make it for you? I'm interested in purchasing one for my 55 Clipper.

Posted on: 2/23 19:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Quote:

Andrew Sinclair wrote:
This looks like a great kit. Is this something they have available to order or did they custom make it for you? I'm interested in purchasing one for my 55 Clipper.

It's made to order, but they can fix you up with your 55.

Earl

Posted on: 2/27 9:54
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Quick update. Do not order the ABS kit for the earlier cars at this time. I'm working with them. There is fitment issues. I will do a full update tomorrow when I have more time.

Earl

Posted on: 3/4 22:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved