Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 186

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Another Spark Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

PennyPackard wrote:
Ok great that means this one right should be circled in red? I appreciate the help, all this stuff is fairly “on the fly” so I get in my head about trying it or not, but after reading some other posts I’m pretty convinced part of the start issues is being too advanced. Well that and all the cracks and issues with the block and now probably manifolds. Maybe if the manifold is cracked I’ll rename her to The Cracken, until I get the new engine and goodies in at least!

Glad to hear you got it running, that's great news.

Isn't the screw you circled in red your vacuum advance?? I don't think that's what you loosen to adjust your timing, but I have a Delco distributor, so what do I know. I think you loosen the bolt above the grease cup, and there should be another one the same on the opposite side, and that will allow you to rotate the distributor body to adjust your timing.

I don't mean to lead you astray, someone else needs to chime in on this if I'm wrong.

BTW, that little grease cup needs to filled every now and then and then turned every few hundred miles to lubricate the top bushing on your distributor. Next time you have your distributor cap off see if there is sideways play on shaft, could have a bad upper bushing if it hasn't been getting proper lubrication, which isn't uncommon.

Attach file:

jpg  Autolite.JPG (98.69 KB)
226104_65c065cd48a6a.jpg 344X791 px

jpg  Autolite1.JPG (165.52 KB)
226104_65c066604c52a.jpg 721X863 px

Posted on: 2/4 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The Autolite distributor has only round holes where it attaches to the block so no adjustment there. The adjustment is done where I indicated. Although I just recently got the one back in my 1951 Henney-Packard’s 327, I’ve not yet gotten far enough along to need to adjust it, I don’t recall any place else where it can be adjusted as the whole distributor rotates with the vacuum advance so does not otherwise tighten which is why it needs the ground wire.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/5 1:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
The Autolite distributor has only round holes where it attaches to the block so no adjustment there. The adjustment is done where I indicated. Although I just recently got the one back in my 1951 Henney-Packard’s 327, I’ve not yet gotten far enough along to need to adjust it, I don’t recall any place else where it can be adjusted as the whole distributor rotates with the vacuum advance so does not otherwise tighten which is why it needs the ground wire.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I see, that's quite the set up, and I understand the need for a ground wire. I thought it was like a newer one where the two bolts pulled down a plate that clamped the distributor in place. Happy to have the Delco system on my car.

Posted on: 2/5 1:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1954 Patrician has the Delco but the Autolite makes it easy to see if the advance is working or not!

Posted on: 2/5 1:58
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Well, can’t thank you all enough! I retarded the timing a couple times and it’s starting up reliably again… better than before considering I rewired and replaced most of the ignition system. The only remaining issue is that the horn relay is clearly shorting out, when I turn it goes wild, which is actually a very effective method of getting people to move out of your way! That will get addressed after the auto body fixes the rear… and maybe I’ll regrease the distributor via that cup.

I do have a delco distributor in the basement that came with the parts haul and replacement engine. If those are preferable maybe I’ll fix up that one for the big swap instead of using the Autolite on mine.

Posted on: 2/5 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that the Autolite is standard in your car so best to keep it. Whether Delco or Autolite being a preference, that’s purely subjective as both work equally well. I would not switch to Autolite, for example, simply because I like the way I can see that the advance is working if the car originally had Delco and neither would I switch to Delco because someone else prefers it.

Posted on: 2/5 17:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I agree with Don, I would keep the ignition system your car came with.

BTW, that's great that it's starting reliably again. Feels good to get those issues sorted out!

Posted on: 2/5 18:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved