Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Floor Pan Repairs
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
While I have my interior out I have a few floor pan repairs I want to do. The floor pretty is pretty solid otherwise. The problem areas are the front driver's body mount, which is rusted through, and where the front seat regulators bolt down are also a problem. I think these are typical problem locations.

Underneath most of the braces are okay, with the exception of the ends of two front drivers braces, which are rotten. (Better than my parts car, all of them on both sides are rotted right off.)

I don't suspect these are available for a Packard, like they are other other cars, but if someone knows of somewhere I can source these let me know. I may go check a few parts cars and see if I can salvage a couple, and if I don't have any luck I'll fab them up from scratch.

It's always dangerous to start poking rusty spots!

Two of the pictures below are a brace for a Chev, for illustration only.

Attach file:

png  image.png (763.47 KB)
226104_65da166573d9e.png 504X714 px

jpg  floor pan brace 1.JPG (14.21 KB)
226104_65da167624f2d.jpg 257X177 px

jpg  floor pan brace.JPG (18.67 KB)
226104_65da1695b842f.jpg 562X394 px

jpg  20240224_090622.jpg (916.64 KB)
226104_65da16ac5114b.jpg 1507X1837 px

Posted on: 2/24 11:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Floor Pan Repairs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Classic 2 Current has some Packard repro items that might be a starting point. For the most part with come custom trimming, I believe they will fit but might not look exactly like the original. One thing several have noted is the depressions where body bolts are located is not as deep as the original pieces. You would either need to deepen those areas or else add more shims underneath. As far as I know there are no other companies making any Packard repro sheet metal pieces.

Posted on: 2/24 12:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Thanks Howard. I think you're correct, that is, C2C is the only company making any Packard body parts. It doesn't look like there are any floor pan support braces for Packards, and I suspect it would be a long shot to find something with similar dimensions that could be modified.

My car only has 2 bad ones, so it does give me a small amount of hope that I could salvage a couple from a parts car. There's a Packard bone yard only 20 minutes away.

Posted on: 2/24 12:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can find something decent from a parts car that would be the way. If not, EMS Automotive offers some universal hot rod braces as well as a lot of smaller sheet metal repro parts for other cars that might be able to be custom fit.

Posted on: 2/24 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
I just finished going down that rabbit hole. C2C's floor pans do require some work, but I found it doable. The scary part is what hides underneath. My body support braces needed some rework, the seat support required rebuilding.

I do not mean to sound discouraging. My words are meant to be encouraging, 1 small project at a time will bring it back together. Good luck & full steam ahead.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/24 13:52
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Hey these look like just the pieces I'm looking for! I couldn't find them on C2C's www, and when I asked them they said the only thing they had for my car were outer rockers. What are you working on? Can you help me with C2C part numbers?

BTW, not discouraged, I know what happens when you start poking at a "little" rust! I have other rust issues lurking under some creative repairs that were done probably decades ago.

Thank you for your reply! Maybe I can crawl out of this rabbit hole and jump into the next one! 😄

Posted on: 2/24 15:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
This bracket I just fab’d up a bit to replace the rusty but
The others I didn’t buy, I fabricated them. The seat support had the middle section replaced. I fab’d that up too. I’m working on my 56 Executive hardtop
C2C doesn’t have the floor sections anymore? They show them still on their website?

Posted on: 2/24 17:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
My mistake, I was thinking you did get those patches from C2C, but needed to modify them to fit. I should have known it was too good to be true! LOL The bracket will be the most complicated, the rest of the patches are pretty basic. Having said that, I haven't cut her open yet, so who knows what else I might find!

Posted on: 2/24 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Dad 56, for that bracket, what do you mean when you say you "just fab’d up a bit"? Did you make that from scratch, or???

Posted on: 2/25 11:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
I remade the bit inside of the thick red square. Managed to salvage the curved bit. It’s 3 pcs. Center section, then the two sides were bent & then welded to the center bit. But the whole thing could be. Metal of appropriate thickness, form the center part first. than maybe even separate pcs for the edges if you don’t have access to a large brake like I don’t.

Posted on: 2/25 11:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved