Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Body Mounts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are there holes in the frame? If not or no holes are in the floor then no bolt was ever there as Don has also speculated. If that is the case then obviously my memory of thinking there were some used inward on the 56 has also failed..

If there is a space between the floor and frame that is enough that even if a large weight was placed on the floor it could not deflect enough to be able to touch the frame then I would not worry about adding cushions. Even if glued, wIthout a bolt thru them I doubt with water or vibration they would stay in place long term anyway.

Posted on: 3/29 20:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
There are holes in the frame, a large one the the shoulder of the thick rubber would sit in, which is what made me think there had been rubber cushions there previously. There were cushions at #2 inner still, without bolts when I took things apart. I figured because these were closer to the front where the body is mounted rather solidly to the frame they didn't have a chance to fall out. #3 and #4 inners had no cushions, which I assumed were there at some point, but with just that shoulder sitting in the hole in the frame to hold them in place they had fallen out at some point.

What confused me, and still does, is when I look through the parts book there are thick and thin cushions listed for inner 2, 3 & 4 for my Cavalier, and even nuts are listed for these positions. But if you look for bolts for these same positions there are none listed for the sedans, only the Mayfair, the Caribbean and the convertible coupe, which is what caused all my confusion initially when I was trying to figure out what parts I needed before I pulled everything apart. These three models also have position 4 1/2 for additional support.

So after all of this, my conclusion is sedans do not require inners 2, 3 & 4 to be bolted. My plan is to put cushions, and no bolts, at inner 2, which did have cushions when I took things apart. I will also add cushions only to inner #3 and #4 because I don't think it can hurt anything to provide a little more support in this area, rather than outriggers #3 and #4 carrying all the weight of the center of the body. At least that's my plan today, might change by tomorrow!

Posted on: 3/30 0:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Body mounts are all installed and torqued down. Good to have this project, along with the floor pan and floor pan brace repairs done.

On my Cavalier I do not believe there were cushions installed, or seen as necessary for the sedans, for the inners at position #3 & #4. There is space for them, just like the inner at position #2, which did have a cushion, so I installed them at inner #3 & #4 as well. The spaces between the floor pan braces were not consistent, which is what made me think installing cushions was a good idea.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/1 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Without a bolt pulling them tight, couldn't they cause the floor to lift in those places?

Posted on: 4/1 10:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I don't believe so, the size of the space is just about the size of the spacer. I think they'll work the same as inner #2, which does not have a bolt from factory. If they did lift the floor it wouldn't be more than 1/8".

Posted on: 4/1 11:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved