Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Connecting new fuel line to originalfuel line
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Sid
See User information
Hi,

I have a 1950 eight touring sedan. All of the fuel lines are replaced but for the section perpendicular to the front bumper which the flexible fuel lines connects to. There is a fitting, which looks brazed to the original steel line. To keep the fitting the flex line goes on i am not sure how ro join a new line to the fitting. The piece of original steel line is pitted so a compression fitting seems to be a bad idea.

I welcome comments.

Thanks,
Sid

Posted on: 3/19 18:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Connecting new fuel line to originalfuel line
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Two possible options.

The fitting is brass and I believe the original steel line was silver soldered in. You can heat the fitting and remove the old line and solder in the new. If you are using new steel line, not sure if special flux or precautions other than cleaning are needed but I used the easier to bend Cunifer or cupro-nickel line when replacing my fuel line and that was very easy to solder into the fitting using silver solder and a propane torch.

Second option is by 51 and in at least one model of the 23rd series they eliminated that special brass block flare fitting and just ran the line under the radiator a few inches farther into the engine compt. There is some evidence that simple end might have been the treatment on more than one 23rd series model. On the end of the steel tubing they did an inverted flare connection so they could use an ordinary inverted flare nut just like the connection used at the fuel tank. To hold the tubing it was clamped using an ordinary clamp to the cross member in the same threaded hole the old brass fitting was bolted. That keeps the tube in position as it extends into the engine compt.

Going that route does need a different pump flex hose. The regular SAE flare end hose used with the fitting needs to be replaced with a hose having an end to accept the inverted flare nut. Max Merritt has both styles of flex hose or you can probably have one made at a local shop.

Posted on: 3/19 18:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Sid
See User information
Hi,

I use the cupro nickel line. I see no reason to use steel line anymore.

I will heat up the fitting and remove the old steel line. The only solder i have now is copper pipe solder but i can get some silver solder.

Thanks

Posted on: 3/19 19:39
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Sid
See User information
I heated the block up. The steel gas line broke off. I sawed the line flat with the top of the block. Then i heated the block more and used an easy out to get the last 5/8" of the line from the block. I also found some silver solder. 😊

Posted on: 3/19 22:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved