Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 118

pmhowe, Flybiker18, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

SPEEDO REVOLUTIONS PER MILE
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Christopher
See User information
Hello again fellow Packard lovers
I have estimated the turns per mile the speedo cable makes is 1000 . I used a cordless drill torqued on to the cable with a white chalk mark on the chuck and it was easy to count the turns at low speed , I did this for the turnover of 6/10ths of a mile and for each of the 10ths the revs were 100 . I had read somewhere that someone thought the turns per mile was 1000 and it looks like thats correct . With that number , the tyre size and the diff ratio the correct gears can be worked out for the new R700 box . Thanks for your help and interest .

Chris.

Posted on: 4/5 2:21
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: SPEEDO REVOLUTIONS PER MILE
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
MPH = rpm x C (tire circumference in feet), divided by the result of F (final drive ratio) x 88.

Piston speed: stroke (in inches) x rpm, divided by 6

Or for our Euro Packard owners: stroke in mm x rpm divided by 30,000

Into the 1950s, maximum safe piston speed was 2,500 ft. per minute, tho' metallurgy, bearing design factors.

Posted on: 4/5 19:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved