Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dimmer Switch
Just popping in
Just popping in

Kenbwisc
See User information
My high beam light comes on in the dash when the headlights are on low beam. I checked the wiring diagram and find a Light Green and Brown wire that connects to the switch. Rather than a two pole switch my car has a three pole. Reversing the green and brown connection doesn’t change the backwards indicator light. Does this mean I have the connections reversed at the junction boxes?

Posted on: 4/23 14:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Dimmer Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most likely. The switch has 3 terminals, one being common which in a 56 should be power in and on a gray wire coming from the headlight switch. Out would be light green for hi beam and brown for low beam which are going to the junction blocks on each fender.

The indicator light is fed from the same terminal at the dimmer sw as is the high beam wire so should only light when high beam is energized. The light green wire at the dimmer sw would go the headlights via a light green wire and since there is a splice, also to the indicator light as light green. At the junction blocks on each side that light green wire should connect to a darker green wire going to the headlight buckets. Brown would go to brown at the junction blocks for low beam and pink is for parking lights.

If you have different colors at the junction blocks going to the buckets, conceivably someone could have changed buckets as I believe all years will fit and some might have different colors. Another possibility might be if someone just changed a socket and used wires which might be a different color.

Posted on: 4/23 15:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved