Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 93

Ozstatman, Joe, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8 Horns
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Have the two horns off my 1940 Super and want to test, adjust while I have them off of the car. They worked fine before the valve job, but just want to check out. It has been many years since I have fooled with them, as I remember they each have an adjusting screw with a locking nut? Also how would I hook up the six volt battery to each one separately in case I need to adjust. I see one wire coming out of each to the H on the relay. I imagine one lead from the battery to a horn wire then the other from battery to? To hot in Vegas and too lazy to dig out a wiring diagram. Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  1940 Horns.jpeg (77.08 KB)
733_66a672556e683.jpeg 810X1080 px

Posted on: Today 11:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super 8 Horns
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They do have adjusting screws and nuts but the adjustment instructions vary by horn model. According to the 40 160-180 service manual the horns used on those models are the same as used in 39 six models and service and adjustment instructions are given starting on page 22 of the 38-9 service manual which is on site.

You don't really need to use the relay if horns are out of the car. Remove both wires from H on the relay and just connect heavy jumper wires -- 14 ga or heavier -- between the battery and horn. Although polarity really doesn't matter for testing, to keep the way it is in the car the positive or ground jumper lead would connect to the mounting bracket and then briefly connecting the negative jumper lead to the single wire going into the horn would make it blow.

If you do want to connect the way it is normally wired in the car to rest relay and the wire to horn button then to test a single horn go ahead and wire everything up with ground connected to the mounting bracket assy and battery voltage from the BAT terminal on the solenoid going to B on the relay. The horn button wire goes to S. Only connect one horn at a time to H on the relay and when button is pushed only that single horn would work.

Posted on: Today 12:00
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: 1940 Super 8 Horns
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you. Will test each one individually and adjust as necessary.

Posted on: Today 13:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved