Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 230

BigKev, Oldcaddies , humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

51-54 head light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Before I just Buy a new one from one of the supplers.has anyone Disassembled their switch for repair?Before I remove it,I figured I would check to see if anyone else had done this repair.I have taken a few other of the switches in the car apart but they were I think a much simpler switch.than the head light switch.Mine seems to have a dead spot on it.Any Ideas anyone? Thanks. Brian

Posted on: 2009/5/31 19:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 51-54 head light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You could spray the guts of it with contact cleaner or electronic cleaner spray. If that doesn't work you probably need a new one anyway.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 19:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Might just be corrosion from sitting. Have you tried to work the switch back and forth a few times. It may knock the corrosion off.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is nothing terribly complicated except for removing the rivets from ceramic section but lots of little pieces so take note when disassembling. Also be careful not to break the tabs holding the headlight block onto can.

You didn't mention what section is dead, but headlight section is usually pretty reliable. The entire front section (the ceramic area) dealing with instrument and courtesy lights is corrosion prone. The electrical path has several pieces, some with power, and some with ground and any bad area will result in problems. The rivets holding the terminals on also work loose and develop poor contact.
Back part of ceramic is the on/off for courtesy & front is rheostat for instrument lights

Attach file:

jpg  (47.64 KB)
209_4a232c39938a1.jpg 640X568 px

jpg  (29.03 KB)
209_4a232c4399721.jpg 640X357 px

jpg  (24.96 KB)
209_4a232c4b38a36.jpg 640X387 px

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Yeah, when I take it out I was going to spray and wiggle ect.just to see if that helps.Its not good to have the head lights go out while driving down the road at night.No I dont normally drive at night but every thing should work.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I am not sure what part is faulty.Seems to me when it quits every thing goes out. (If memory serves.)But a little wiggle and every thing comes back on.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thanks for the photo! I hate to spend $100.00 + if I dont have to.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Thanks for the photo! I hate to spend $100.00 + if I dont have to.
Best to not rely too heavily on it as I just sort of laid things out. If you do take yours apart, pay particular attention to the order and orientation of the contacts in the ceramic section.

That silver box that's held on with nuts is a self resetting circuit breaker. They have been known to weaken with age and not carry the rated current, going out and then cooling down after several seconds and connecting again. If there are no poor or dirty connections to the headlights or a chance you have a short in any of the wiring, then replacing the circuit breaker might be a good step. You should be able to pick up a 30amp at a local parts store.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Ok, Thanks I think I will get the silly thing out and spray it with CRC-5-56 first and see what that does.Maybe it is only crosion like big kev suggested.I dont know.At least that should tell me what my next step is.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
i forgot to tell you the car has a all new wiring harness.i doubt there is any trouble with that.It had this trouble before the new harness as well.My restorer said the switch was a little suspect. thanks for the tip on the circuit breaker.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved