Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

THUMPING IN FIRST GEAR
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Well, our tour into east-central Indiana was spoiled last week when we had transmission trouble with our '41 Clipper. I think I got it into two gears at the same time while on US 40 in heavy traffic, and we came to a very sudden stop! After I got the gear linkage where it was supposed to be, it shifted fine, but now there is a nasty thump in first gear. Second and third seem fine (there is no overdrive). Anyway, we decided to trailer it home and not risk further damage until we figure out what the trouble is. Friends on the tour suggested that I may have broken a tooth on low gear. They also thought that if there is a tooth floating around in there, it could be picked up and cause more damage. What's your thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted on: 2009/6/21 20:09
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Re: THUMPING IN FIRST GEAR
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Sounds like your friend might be right. You have knocked a tooth off of first gear when you got into two gears at the same time.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/6/21 21:11
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Am I risking serious damage driving it this way?

Posted on: 2009/6/21 21:14
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I am no mechanic however if it was my car, it would sit until I found out what the problem was and repairs made.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/6/21 21:26
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would imagine that the loose tooth would find it's way to the bottom of the case. I would think for short runs that the missing tooth should not present a huge problem in the short term. Some old-school hot-rodders used to cut every other tooth off so they could slam through the gears.

Now it may be that you actually bent a tooth, so the sound you hear it that bent tooth impacting something on every rotation.

Posted on: 2009/6/21 21:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
BigKev, that makes a lot of sense because of the thumping. I don't know if it would thump if it was completely broken off. . . but I'm no expert, so I'm asking the questions! Would I need a new gear cluster if it's bent or broken, or can they be repaired?

Posted on: 2009/6/21 21:59
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They don't bend, they break and it sounds to me like you've broken a tooth; probably on the cluster. No,they are not repaired, you'll need a new gear or perhaps gears. And I'd drain the gear oil and hope to recover the broken piece before I drove it any further or you do indeed risk more damage.

Posted on: 2009/6/21 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Denny, after I put an overdrive in my '48 I'll have the complete trans that you can rob parts off of, I won't be needing it. I MAY be able to get you one sooner, but I won't know until this Wednesday.

Posted on: 2009/6/21 22:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Just for a little clarity, every other gear tooth is never ground off for any purpose. Every other dog can be ground off the brass blocker ring, and even the gear itself (this is where the sliding shift clutch slides over the back of the freewheeling gear to lock the gear to the shaft to facilitate that specific ratio) to effectively create a "crash box". Funny, I just went through a muncie 4 speed, my buddy was working on a Ford top loader next to me that had been turned into a crash box.

Denny, if you can fish the tooth out and decide to drive, be very very gentle in first. With that said, a friend of mine drove a car with first / reverse slider tooth broken for a very long time.

I am pretty sure you did shuck a tooth, especially if it is a perfectly timed clunk, under any amount of load.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/6/22 1:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Turbopackman, that sounds great! Keep me posted. My email is: dazachrich@metalink.net

Posted on: 2009/6/22 6:52
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved