Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 238

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Use or Abuse?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Pat,

I read the original posting that prompted you to post this thread. I was very perplexed. I have personally admired your tenacity in actually putting this fine vehicle to good use. I must also admit that I enjoy reading your cheeky fun posts. The internet is a strange medium in that sometimes people who would have lots in common and would get along famously in person find themselves at odds on an internet forum.

At times, there is a vast amount of support, camaraderie, and interaction. In other instances there is a strange distant chill factor. Some feel they are the final word, others feel you must own, repair, and operate your car their way. We have had compulsive harassers who cannot behave on the internet, yet are interesting and behaved in person.

At the end of the day, taking the good and bad into consideration, the internet is likely what will engage and draw in the next generation of auto collectors. We are fortunate to have a real time medium to communicate with other enthusiasts from around the world. Do not become disheartened, or take everything posted to seriously. There are some that may chastise you for the way you treat your car, but many more like myself that admire what you do, and are motivated to do more with our own cars. While talking about Packards is fun, using them is even more fun!

Many more happy miles,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/6/23 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Talk about completely missing the point. You are the one who keeps complaining about his Packard's many breakdowns, squeaks, rattles, groans and moans. I merely suggested the car was no longer up to the job and that you might consider a newer car.

If you chose to keep the Packard I am sure there are many experts here who will encourage and advise you.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 22:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
You know, my grandpa used to complain and moan about squeaks, rattles, pains and arthritis. funny, we never felt he was no longer up to the job nor considered replacing him with a new one.

Sometimes, on a site like this, posters may present a rhetorical question out of frustration, fun, or just looking for some humorous interaction from peers. I think the point was missed, but not by Pat.

Food for thought,

Jim

Posted on: 2009/6/23 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Good for you! See and be seen. If no one drives the cars, no one sees them, no one learns about them, and no one buys them when we're gone.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 23:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
It's a discussion group. NOT a sunday school class.

My new signature!

Posted on: 2009/6/24 0:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I for one would rather drive an oil dripping, exhaust leaking, bumper hanging, wire sparking, spontaneous engine fire, vapor locking, rod knocking, swiss-cheesed floorboard, rusty rats nest of a Packard with a burned out headlight then to just have a restored Packard that sits in garage and never gets driven.

Just my $.02 (no change given)

Posted on: 2009/6/24 0:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hmm, sounds like it's time for Kev to get a rat rod Packard!

"The Pack-Rat"

LMAO!

Posted on: 2009/6/24 0:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I thought I was describing how I found my '54!

Posted on: 2009/6/24 0:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Good morning all,

I have never complained about my Packard's, and I quote Rusty o Toole here,

" many breakdowns, squeaks, rattles, groans and moans."

My original post about creaks and groans was a rhetorical question, not a complaint. I never complain, I sort things out, when you have the only model of a particular car in a country (of the 2 Packards know on the island of Ireland) there is no point in complaining, where are you going to go!

The fact is my Packard has never broken down, covering thousands of miles in all weathers, under all conditions.

The reason I hear these things is because I probably have a heightened sense of what's going on with the car and indeed have exchanged many molecules with the car. If you read The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien, you will know what I mean!

The great thing about my car is its tenacity to keep going regardless of any running problems that may arise. It never gives up. It has never let me down. And if it does this will be the first place I will come to for advice.

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 3:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Way to go Pat. I to use my 55 Patrician for weddings and never get dismayed by the minor things that can go wrong but have not yet. My only complaint(?) is, it has no air. I could put it in if I had $1,500, so until then I just discourage weddings in the summer unless they are in the evening.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 8:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved