Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
262 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 262

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

?coolant
Just popping in
Just popping in

51ratpackard
See User information
what kinda coolant should i put in mt 1951 200 delux???

Posted on: 2009/6/26 2:08
 Top  Print   

Re: ?coolant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Your normal green antifreeze will work just fine, mixed at 50/50 for most climates, adjust accordingly.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 2:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi there,

Over here we are advised to use blue coolent as the green stuff is not good for old gaskets. Some people here say that their vintage cars leak more with green coolant rather than blue. I have really never noticed a difference myself.

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 5:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the color is just a dye. What's in the blue and green versions (both are glycol-based)?

Posted on: 2009/6/26 9:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't have specifics but the primary differences between the red and green and possibly the blue which I'm not familiar with are the corrosion-inhibitor packages and possibly the use of propylene glycol versus ethylene glycol. The former is much more environmentally acceptable, in fact being manufactured and available in an edible food-grade whereas ethylene glycol is quite toxic. The changes in anti-corrosion packages are primarily a result of the majority of modern engines being primarily of aluminum alloys, and radiators primarily plastic tanks on aluminum cores rather than copper. Thus the traditional anti-corrosion packages aimed at copper radiators and cast iron engines (the green stuff) is not optimized for modern engines. Whether the reverse is true (modern antifreezes not optimum for cast iron engines) I don't know, but I continue to use the original "green" formulation in my cars with cast iron engines and copper radiators. The traditional anti-corrosion packages were primarily inorganic silicates and organics of the tolytriazole type.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
the "best" to use would be the "mixes with any color" that you will find at most any good parts store. that way it won't matter if you are running low and can only find one or the other. You DO NOT WANT TO MIX the other two!

Posted on: 2009/6/26 20:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved