Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 202

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1956 Clipper a/c
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Hey, all. It's been a while

Just wondering. What is a fair price for an a/c kit plus installation?

Any links to recommended kits?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 22:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Clipper a/c
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Since everything pretty much has to be custom made, it won't be cheap. If you do it all yourself, (except make the hoses) as well as buy all your own parts to make it work, it would be a lot cheaper.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 23:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
No such thing as an "off the shelf" under dash kit I could use?

Posted on: 2009/6/27 0:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The under the dash part is the easy part. It's the under the hood stuff that requires all the fabrication.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 0:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
If you were going to install a/c how would you go about doing it, and what would you expect to spend?

Posted on: 2009/6/27 0:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
On a V8, I would build a bracket to mount it where the stock system went, which is where the oil filter is, and tie it into the thermostat housing, like stock. I'd then use that bracket to mount a modern Sanden compressor. Keith, (PackardV8) has done such a setup, and it looks very nice. I would then fit as large of a condenser in front of the radiator as possible, and use an under dash unit from the likes of Vintage Aire. All in all, if you do all the installation yourself and buy all new parts, you're easily looking at $800-$1000 or more, unless you're more parts savvy than most.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 3:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Look at :https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2551&forum=3&post_id=27530#forumpost27530

especialy page2 of the above thread.

As T'Packaman says, use the LARGEST condensor u can fit. Let us know what u do and some pics.

I did mine 8 years ago or more for about $200 or less but i already had the Mark IV evaporator in hand.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 6:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Thanks for the replies.

I like the idea of using the Toyota. It sounds easy and inexpensive.

I need to get my brain from point A to point B. All knowledge and advice would be appreciated.

Point A: I know how to jump in and attack once I understand how it works. So far, what I know is that a/c requires a compressor, a coil, an evaporator and a blower. I don't know what the evaporator's function is. I also know I need lines from compressor to coil to dissipate heat.

First, I have heard mention before about having to replace the fan and/or radiator. Is that not the case?

Also, my car runs too warm. I changed t-stat. I used h-duty radiator cleaner. Neither helped. Radiator looks good, cosmetically. I was told that the likely solution is to have it re-cored. Do you agree?

After these questions, I will post for advice on a list of parts I need to go out and find.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I took two photos of an AC compressor installed on a V-8 Four Hundred at the 56th Texas Tour. They may be of some help.

Edit: They are in the Car Show Pictures section.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 10:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Also, my car runs too warm. I changed t-stat. I used h-duty radiator cleaner. Neither helped. Radiator looks good, cosmetically. I was told that the likely solution is to have it re-cored. Do you agree?

I agree, to an extent. I'd take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it and backflush it first. If it doesn't leak and has good flow there's no reason to recore it. Recoring a radiator is expensive, I'm paying upwards of $700 to have my '48 radiator recored. Do that as a LAST resort, but have them clean it first.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 12:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved