Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

DavidPackard, DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: glass fuel bowl observation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The problem with Ethanol is that it adsorbs water, and in older vehicles will cause corrosion of fuel lines and fuel tank. Please see Change2E85.com

Like I've said before it's great stuff if you know to use it. (I tell most women that too!)

Posted on: 2009/6/30 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I read the Change2E85.com.
BUT, we are dealing with TWO different ethanoll issues here.
E10 and E85.

To the best of my knowledge only E10 is sold here in the Whiskey HEll area. Altho i will begine to pay closer attention to what is lableled on the pump. NOT that the label means anything tho. No way of really knowing what's in thegas station tanks unless i buy a test kit.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 9:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Water seperating fuel filters are quite popular and availible for gas powered boats, just as they are for diesel ones. most are compact and look like a remote oil filter setup might, and the filter units are simple screw on cartidges, just like modern oil filters.

we use one in our powerboat with great results. boats loke ours have vented tanks, and obviously spend most of their time gwtting doused with spray. and even when they sit, the cold water on the hull conflicting with hot ambient air can exacerbate condensation. within weeks of the switch to ethanol, we began having problems.

ive seriously considered adding one to the Pat. Relatively cheap and simple to install.

I would use a Marine model for the extra corrosion resistance so it could be mounted anywhere.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 10:12
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keith, if you put E85 in any of your cars you'd know it, as the pump handle is yellow and your car will smell like a margarita when it's running. No joke!

Posted on: 2009/7/4 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I started the following experiment yesterday at 7pm.
The E10 gas was fresh and streight from the pump and CRYSTAL CLEAR AS WATER. Put 1 drop of tap water in it at 7pm last nite. THis morning 11 am NO water ball is evident but the gas has turned a rather pale beer color.

Put another drop in at 11 am this morning and here is pics. The water drop as of noon is already beginning to flatten out to a something shaped more like a very short worm. I'll put in another drop as soon as the existing water droplet disperses as the first one did.

The water droplette drops thru the gas like a a piece of steel shot. I'm wondering how much water the E10 will absorb before it stops to absorb. We will see how murky the gas gets over the next week or so.

Pics taken at 11;30 Am today. Experiment started 7pm LAST nite.

Maybe a few others will try this experiment in their region just to confirm or dispute my findings. It's real ez and cheap to do. It would have to be cheap. I don't even have a quarter in my pocket to use as a size comparison for hte container.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.12 KB)
35_4a4fad013ed07.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.27 KB)
35_4a4fad2f81a28.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/4 14:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your experiment could be even more interesting if you had a control, for example aviation gas (no alcohol) for comparison, and then threat them the same, side by side.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
good idea. i'll try to get some Av gas probably Wednesday.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 8:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My main idea for this experiment is to determine gasoline discoloration due to water absorption. If the e10 (or whatever gas) changes color significantly with the addition of water then maybe those experienceing 'vapor lock' will have an ez method to further determine fuel system condition.

Or, to put it another way, there is no point in fighting vapour lock symptoms if there is significant water in the fuel system?????

Posted on: 2009/7/5 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Checked the sample a couple of hours ago and it has stopped absorbing the water. I was expecting a darker amber look to the mixture. I'll let it set for another day or two.

Right now, i'm wondering about gasloine color variations from brand to brand, region to region and between octane ratings. Something i've never taken close note of before.

Over the years seen every color of the rainbow i suppose.

The sample i started with above was crystal clear as water. Now after 3 drops of water it's very light amber. Not quite as dark as a very light beer.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 21:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bulk generic gasoline is pretty much all the same until retailers add their own proprietary mixtures of detergent, additives and dye, hence the large variety of colors. Like Blue Sunoco. Some even (years back) used different dyes for their different grades, remember ARCO super-premium - ARCO Purple?

I wouldn't expect presence of amounts of water to have any discoloring effect on gasoline, though it may have an affect on the dyes in it.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 22:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved