Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

glass fuel bowl observation
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I can't figure this one out. Maybe Owen or HH56 can.

Subject: 56 Executive with legit WCFB and legit cater glass bowl filter. The WCFB bowl vent is adjusted to spec. It is OPEN when engine is off and throttle linkage at rest.

The only thing NOT legit about this set up is the paper element in the oem carter filter unit ala HH56. There is also an 88 Ranger 2.0 fuel filter screwed into the inlet side of the oem cARTER filter unit. OEM gas line from pump to ford filter NOT touching block or any other part of engine enroute.

Here's what happens:

After a long hard run 3hree days ago in 93F degree weather i pull up and stop the car and the engine. IMMEDIATELY get out of the car and lift the hood. Whithin about 2 minutes the nearly full gas level in the glass Carter bowl begins to drop to near empty over a period of about 3 minutes or less. It is obvious to stand there and watch it happen.

Wait about another 3 minutes (I never took my eye from it) and the gas level seems to rise again slowly to about 3/4 full of the glass bowl.

I've thot about this alot. I can't explain it.

WHY does the fuel level in the glass bowl drop???? I do not ever remenber seeing this kind of thing happen before.

Incidently and unrelated to this post, i currently have the main fuel line from tank to pump disconnected and under vaccuum to see how long the vacuum will hold. Just to test the line for leaks.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 11:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: glass fuel bowl observation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If carb didn't flood or you didn't smell the raw gas, then I can only think of one possibility where it might have gone--slim as it is and just conjecture.

When stopped, the heat caused a pressure build up. The outlet valve of fuel pump is not sealing tightly but float bowl was full so carb valve tight with good seal. The pressure forced the gas back thru the outlet valve where it pushed the diaphragm against the spring with the excess. When cooler, spring overcame the pressure again and pushed gas back into the bowl. Anyway, my theory-thin as it is.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THere was no flooding and no gas smell.

The only thing i can think of is similar to your explanation. That the gas in the glass filter bowl is evaporating out of it to either the carb bowl or pump to filter line.
It is very strange to stand there and watch it happen.

I see no way that the gasoline as a liquid could syphon out of the glass filter bowl???

As a side note: the long fuel line from tank to pump, disconnected and plugged at both ends will hold a steady 12 inches of vacuum for over 2 hours. I used my small vacuum pump not the big one for this test. I'd think that should be good enuf???? No?? Of course that does not verify any restriction that mite be in the line. I blew thru it with lung power and compared that to blowing thru a NEW piece of 5/16 tuning the same length. Used the same amount of lung effort. So i see no reason to replace the fuel line.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 7:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. So modern gas has ethonol in it. That is to say ALCOHOL. No???

Alcohol absorbs water. NO?????
So then, why is it when i disconnected the main fuel line at the tank and the pump and then blew it out with compressed air i found about a 1/4 teaspoon full of water mixed with about 8 ounces of gasoline that blew out of the line????

The gas pump i pump gas from says "contains 10% ethanol". It's Shell brand gasoline and that's about all i have ran for the last 2 years with occasional exception.

I would expect the ethanol to absorb any water in the tank or fuel system and pass it on thru as an undetectible mixture. No???

Posted on: 2009/6/28 7:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm becomming suspicous that the vapor lock everyone is adressing is actualy water in the gasoline. I'll check the moty-sickles and tractor gas today for water because they are ez to check.

I've been buying gas at a rather less than upscale station over the last 2 or 3 years. I'm also suspicous that the ethoanol additive is there not to conserve fossil fuel but rather to clear water from the gas station
holding tanks around the country.

--=*=--
--=*=-- Either way, i am wondering if the reports of vapour lock are regional to extreme rain conditions?????
--=*=--
--=*=--

Here in middle TN. rain has been unusualy abundant since about the first of the year.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 8:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are literally thousands of chemical compounds that are alcohols; the common low-boiling ones are methyl alcohol or methanol (wood alcohol), ethyl alcohol or ethanol (the drinkable one) and isopropyl alcohol or isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). Ethanol is the one commonly distilled from corn or biomass and which is used in gasoline by Federal requirement an an oxygenate (source of oxygen), isopropanol is the one which we used to buy as "dry gas".

These alcohols are what you could term "cosolvents" meaning in that they have the ability so solubilize some quantity of water into a gasoline/alcohol mixture.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 8:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks owen.

There has also been reports (especialy localy here) of electric fuel pump failure both vintage and modern. Add on electric pumps near the tank only lasting about a year???? Two reports of that localy and recently.

I'm wondering if the water (IF any) in the gasoline is ruining the add on electric pumps??? I'll get one from a friend and tear it apart to see.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 8:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
I have observed those fuel filter bowls on my cars and really have never seen one go down that way. The one on the Kaiser I drove home yesterday (40 miles) was bubbling at the top with about 1/8-1/4" space at the top. I have at least 2 or 3 6V electric pumps that have quit on me but they are the bellows type. On the other hand the electric bellows pump on my '53 Hudson has been on it about 11 years. I'm only using the solid state type now. But even a couple of those have failed on my brother's cars over the last 3-4 years.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
At this point i'm not sure if the Discount auto parts store electric pumps are just cheapo pumps or if maybe water/condensation is effecting them. Need to cut a few of the failed pumps apart to inspect. I'll try to get one today.

Another problem is cars that set around alot with tanks that are only 1/2 full or less will develope condensation in the tank.

An ongoing R&D project here i suppose. But i'm still leaning away from actual vapour lock as the popular diagnosis. Again, my 88 Ranger in DAILY operation just does not vapour lock. Maybe the daily operation helps to keep the water cleared out????

Posted on: 2009/6/28 9:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
I try to keep my tanks close to full, use the STABIL if not driven frequently in instances where the car is down for some reason. The '55 Clipper Super is the only V-8 I've experienced the "apparent" vapor lock on. Since the car exhibited what I had experienced previously on a number of occassions and flipping on the electric pump smoothed it out, I assumed it to be vapor lock given the new tank, blown out lines, and filter at the back.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 9:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved