Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Windshield wipers
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Since this thread got revived by some spammer selling crap, I guess I'll join in flogging this poor old dead horse.

I don't think vacuum wipers are as good, or reliable as modern variable speed electrics. Having said that, the re-built vacuum wipers on my '50 work extremely well and I wouldn't swap the vacuum unit for an electric unit.

I wouldn't swap because I am keeping my '50 original and besides... I just think the vacuum motor is cool.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi folks, looks like a spammer brought this thread back from the dead. Another interesting long-standing antique car debate. I happen to be a member of the electric wiper camp. For many manufacturers electric wipers were a pay extra option. On top of that, they are seen by many collectors as a very desirable option. Perhaps it is because when you turn on electric wipers they work. Vacuum wipers if allowed to sit unused for extended periods, especially in the arid, hot, and dry southwest tend to dry out and not function. Another factor in regions of the country with long steep grades is diminished performance. In another thread I posted a pictorial of a two hour trip we made to a car show. In that trip there were many steep grades including one that is 6% to 8% for 5 miles.

Bottom line, if you like vacuum run them. If you like electric run them. I personally have the mechanical aptitude to make both systems work adequately, though I personally prefer electric. I have a complete factory electric wiper setup for my '40 but will have to carefully consider my options because I also have a great amount of reverence for the strictest authenticity when possible.

We can all agree that having a Packard, regardless of wiper power is a wonderful privilege.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My '47 has a two speed electric wiper motor which work very well for a 63 year old car. I wonder why Packard returned to vacuum wipers in '48 and how many years were electric wipers used?

Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:36

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved