Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What parts "typically" replaced in engine rebuild ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out of curiosity. Is the Ford 390 Industrial engine interchangeable with passenger car 390 V8???

Posted on: 2009/7/11 15:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
as far as i remember it is, if you are talking the "industrial fe" there is another ford "390" that is actualy a '391'. it's completely different.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 15:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
Thanks for everyone's comments ! The history: I've had car for 15 years. Engine ran fine. Then started smoking like crazy. Guy said engine was rebuilt before I bought it - but couldn't produce paperwork - so I don't know.

Seems most rebuild kits on web include: Pistons , Piston rings, Rod bearings, Main bearings, Cam bearings, Gasket set, Camshaft, Lifters, Timing set, Oil pump, Freeze plugs

I hate to move engine to another machine shop - but $2,500 without replacing cam, lifters, and timing set bugs me.

I have another shop committing to $2,200 and including all the new parts listed above.

Nothing is easy.....

Attach file:

jpg  (50.25 KB)
1627_4a5b0ff529c36.jpg 579X474 px

Posted on: 2009/7/13 5:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"but $2,500 without replacing cam, lifters, and timing set bugs me."

I don't agree with the cam replacement unless it is necessary. Lifters and timing set SHOULD be replaced.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 9:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BTW. If the car ahas automatic transmission then go check the transmission fluid level. Check the vacuum tube going from trans to engine manifold to see if it has ATF in it.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 9:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
The guy dropped the price to $2,300 and he's going to include running it for me - so I am proceeding.

He had engine all apart - so to "pick up the pieces and go somewhere else" was impractical.

He convinced me the cam is OK. The timing set does look like it was previously replace and looks great.

Not changing lifters still bothers me - do these ever fail realistically ? The face on them looks perfect. I just don't understand hydraulic lifters - there's a valve inside - I don't know how that gets verified (guess it doesn't).

Thanks for everyone's comments !

Posted on: 2009/7/14 7:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the lifters came out real EZ MEANING no varnish ring around the very bottom of the lifter then they have probably been replaced rather recently. Most likely ok. Lifters on the V8 are not difficult to replace at a later date if he proves worng about reusing them.

Again, these are judgement calls based on inspection and known history and wear patterns observed during disassembly. There are many details that can be missed because we don't have the parts here in front of us for inspection.

Bottom line, is that u are at the mercy of the rebuilders. MANY do a good job. Sometimes it depends on the customer too.
Personaly, i'd rather just have a good pair of walking shoes or a skate board rather than to hire service work.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 8:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THus far. It sounds to me like the rebuilder is trying to do a good job as good as ANYONE could do AND at an economical price. Probably stick with him. If the cam is good then leave it alone. Use it. Especialy if it's an OEM cam or a known good cam. Sometimes replacement parts can be worse than good used parts.

Watch the cylinder boring tho. If the bores are reasonably good LEaVE them ALONE. The cylinder boring and new pistons is where most owners get their ass stuck.

Again, these are judgement calls that we can not make with out seeing the actual engine. But thus far it sounds like the rebuilder is trying to do a good job and will build u a good engine.

The balanceing is strictly a crock of shit unless u are making some kind of radical changes to the engine. But u'll probably have to go along with it.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Get us pic of 2wo or 3 main bearing shells and rod bearing shells.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I'd consider $2500 a good price on a quality rebuild. Last one I did was a custom 351W ford engine in 2001. That had new rod, main, and cam bearings, custom cam, HV oil pump, new pistons, rings, lifters, valve seals, and timing chain etc. Not to mention the machining services themselves.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 22:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved