Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 195

Don B, Darrin180, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

eBay Auction of 46 Super Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Look at this Packard lovers. Here's a 1/2 to 2/3 of what looks like a nice hiway driver in a
1946 Packard - Super Clipper: 1672-2103

Ebay has this New Jersey based auction on a nice looking 46 Packard Clipper (with a DIY interior project). Looks like all parts are there. It has 'buy it now price' of $6,250 and a reserve price (that is not yet met at the $2605 bid point). [I'd guess a reserve around $5700 to $6000? What you think?]

Here is the Ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1946-Packard-Clipper-Super_W0QQitemZ330343915212QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4cea081ecc&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A317

Here are 66 additional photos of details

http://public.fotki.com/WOCC1/packard-clipper-super-2/

http://public.fotki.com/WOCC1/46-packard-clipper-super/

Any P-Info folks on the 'left bank' interested?

DanL

Posted on: 2009/7/14 17:21
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Re: eBay Auction of 46 Super Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I have one question to ask. I have never been a big fan of ebay. I just can't understand how a person could purchase a car with just looking at some pictures of it. Me I want to be there and see the car or object in person before considering making a purchase.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/7/14 20:13
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's why if you're really serious about buying a car on eBay you go look at the car before you bid on it, or have someone else that you trust in the area go look at it for you.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
So far, my immediate family and I have bought 6 cars from ebay in the last 4 years. I bought a 59 edsel and a 78 LTD. My mother bought, after asking my opinions, a 73 Centurion and a 81 Mustang. My brother bought 2 Camaros, an 87 and 82. The only one that was a waste of time and money was the 82 Camaro and I'd advised him not to buy it because of owner mods. I'm sure there are honest and dishonest sellers just like anywhere else, but each car was pretty much as described and drove home under their own power from various points of purchase.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I second all the comments about Ebay. I was recently scammed by a crook on my Ebay purchase of a 1950 Packard, for which I paid top dollar. I rationalized that it was not risky because Ebay offered a free buyer protection plan. I can tell you that the Ebay buyer protection plan is nearly worthless!! They have an arbitrary cutoff of 30 days after the purchase is made to submit a claim. This time limit was totally eaten up by the following:
1. Time between when I sent payment and the check cleared
2. Time for the sller to arrange for shipping
3. Time to ship the car to me
4. Time to finally get the title so I could register and insure the car for driving
5. Time to fix all the items that made the car illegal to drive
6. Time to fix the brakes so I could drive the car

I drove the car for the first time a week after the 30 days ran out and then immediately discoved the engine had major problems. I immediately filed a claim with Ebay and they blew me off.

This particular Clipper on Ebay looked good to me also until I looked at all the photos. It seems to have a decent paint job, but there are many costly items awaiting the new owner. The worst I can see is hidden rust damage based on the rust holes visible in the photos. The next concern is how it runs (like my Packard) which you generally cannot tell until you drive it. This car is a partial "basket case" and generally there are missing parts no matter how good the seller is.
It would probably be cheaper to buy a car that does not have any obvious issues.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
I bought my Packard on eBay but it was and is definitely a major fixer upper and the price was low enough I didn't feel there was that there was that much of a risk. Plus I had owned the model before and was familiar with the car. It came out OK for me but I would advise anyone to be very careful and have someone go out and look at the car, especially if they want a lot of money for it.
Ken Dunning
kens53clip

Posted on: 2009/7/15 18:22
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Thanks for all the good comments, (John, Turbo, Ken, Chuck, Fred). Lots of appropriate advise here to be heeded.

The concerns and experiences you each cite certainly point out the limits of an eBay type auction. It costs nothin' to look at pictures, but spending thousands of dollars, SIGHT UNSEEN, well, could be quite disappointing.

"Let the buyer beware" = "Caveat emptor"

http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/caveat_emptor

DanL

Posted on: 2009/7/16 7:19
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved