Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'41 Clipper transmission questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I've been looking for a non o/d transmission to swap with mine, and some interesting questions have surfaced. First, my non o/d tranny has the "long" tail shaft. Earlier models have the shorter version.
Question #1: Can I use an older "short" tail shaft tranny and simply switch tail housings?
Question #2: Is the overdrive tranny the same length as my non o/d version? I was told if I switch to an o/d I would need to shorten the drive shaft. ie: Will an o/d tranny fit my application without tailshaft modification?
Any technical help is appreciated!

Attach file:

jpg  (14.92 KB)
564_4a61bd6dad257.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2009/7/18 7:26
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Re: '41 Clipper transmission questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would say that if it's a 1950 and back o/d trans it should drop right in with no problems. I'll know more once I have an o/d trans in my hands, as that's exactly what I plan to do to the '48. I do know that a '51 and up trans is longer, and won't fit as easily, or I would have already done it to the '48.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 10:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Denny, I am almost certain that the driveshafts will be different. The shaft without overdrive does not have the two part slip joint but is a solid piece with the spline on the end of the shaft attached to the front universal which slides into the tailstock. Am I right? The OD driveshaft has two parts with the splined slip joint a few inches back from the front universal I can climb under my car and measure the overall trans +O/D, length, O/D length or driveshaft length to see if the measurements are the same as yours but I can't see how the shafts would interchange. The 41-47 parts book shows two different driveshaft part #'s for the two types of transmissions and also the universal joints have different part #'s. Does the transmission end your universal shaft yoke slide into the transmission with a short splined shaft or is the driveshaft two piece?

Posted on: 2009/7/18 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Denny,

When you say Quote:
First, my non o/d tranny has the "long" tail shaft. Earlier models have the shorter version. Question #1: Can I use an older "short" tail shaft tranny and simply switch tail housings? Question #2: Is the overdrive tranny the same length as my non o/d version?

I just measured my 41 Clipper transmission. It's about 20 1/2 inches overall. It has overdrive which fills in that 11 inch 'long tail' section of your photo.
What is the overall length of your tranny?

When you say older - (earlier models), do you mean older 41 Clippers or pre-1941 Packaerds?

My Clipper number is 1401-9733, which makes it production number 7733 of 16600. It would probably be mid-summer 1941 (June?) in production. Was your Clipper made before mine?

DanL

Posted on: 2009/7/18 12:28
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Dan, I was wondering about the pre-Clipper three speed trannys.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 23:01
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The issue is how difficult is it to changeover a 41-110 transmission with a short tailshaft (basically the speedo gear housing) to the 41 Clipper style pictured with the long tailshaft housing.
Then let's muddy the waters by wondering whether an overdrive tranny (R9) just happens to have the same overall length as the non-OD Clipper tranny with the long tailshaft as pictured. You know, the kind of wishful thinking that would allow installation of a overdrive tranny directly in place of the existing tranny without having to adapt the driveshaft. Now where'd that magic genie go to...

Posted on: 2009/7/19 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Yeah, Flackmaster's got it! That's the magic genie I was wondering about.

Denney, What is the overall length of your 41 Clipper tranny compared to my 41 Clipper tranny with O/D? Is it also about 21 1/2 inches?

Clipper 47 referenced the 41-47 Clipper Parts Book as listing 2 different drive shafts for O/D and non-O/D.

Denny I gather you would prefer 'NO O/D' and a 'modern tranny' to place in the space you have. Correct?

DanL

Posted on: 2009/7/19 5:58
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Correction 20 1/2 inches overall. [It is hard to know exactly where to measure, but that's close to my OD tranny length.]want

Posted on: 2009/7/19 6:01
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Dan, I'll have to get back with you later in the week on the measurment. We're at a friend's summer lake home in Michigan sipping umbrella drinks..........

Posted on: 2009/7/19 15:59
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved