Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 138

R H, moodydavid16, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Latest Collectible Automobile Issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Latest issue has a couple of articles on Packard styling -- both by Thom Taylor. Don't remember seeing that name before but he has a somewhat different & interesting take with the first article--a what if for 2010. Also has another on Packard styling cues through the years with pictures.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 20:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Latest Collectible Automobile Issue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
I subscribe to it. I thought the concepts were not attractive. Everything looks like a Chevy HHR except some have trunks. I wish Packard would have lasted into the mid-70's because I'm sure they would have produced many interesting cars. However, if they were still around today, I am sure they would be producing the same little 4 door aero-eggs as everyone else.

Posted on: 2009/7/25 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Old thread but recently read the Collectible Automobile issue (Oct 2009) and am curious what folks think a successful 2010 Packard line-up might look like. And who would it compete with? Rolls? Bentley? M-B & BMW? Lexus & Cadillac? Toyota too? The gentleman who wrote the article proposed:

? Packard 4 door sedan V12
? Packard 4 door sedan LWB V12
? Packard 2 door convertible V12
? Packard 2 door roadster Inline 8 (transverse mid-engine, trans between cyl 4 & 5 like early 90s Ford Contour show car)
? Clipper 4 door sedan Inline 8 (same transverse layout as roadster but front mounted)
? 5 door Crossover Utility Vehicle

Posted on: 2009/11/22 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
(snip) However, if they were still around today, I am sure they would be producing the same little 4 door aero-eggs as everyone else.

<p>Unfortunately, CAFE, OSHA, NTSB, gubbermint-owned GM and Chrysler, etc. assures that this is the devolved state of current automobile manufacturing. In the future, it will only get worse.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/22 20:53
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Thom Taylor is a well known artist of dream car ideas. His drawings usually appear in hot rod and custom car magazines. They have been publishing his work for at least 20 years.

The Packard drawings are not his best work if you ask me.Somehow his imagination seemed to fail him or possibly he was ordered to make a certain type of drawings by the editor.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Chrysler, GM, and Ford are building more than just so called little four door areo eggs today.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/11/22 22:52
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Can envision a Packard touring sedan on a 125" wheelbase with flowing lines, big tires and a long hood. No V12, more like an efficient turbo direct injection V8 driving the real wheels and two small electric motors inboard of the front wheels for extra traction and regen braking. Aluminum body for low weight. Dual trunk/hatch for a defined trunk with extra utility. A bit more ground clearance and height than today's sedans but no trucky SUV design cues. Prominent grill like today's 300C but pure Packard and no cheap stampings. Majestic road presence in a cool, thoroughly modern package.

I like Thom Taylor's suggestion for a low sporting roadster with the engine behind driver. Not sure about the straight 8. Turbo direction injection straight 6 would be enough, mounted transversely and behind rather than in front of the rear axle to make room for small rear seats. Maybe two electric motors up front like the big sedan. Coupe version of roadster with big gull wing doors would be a nice compliment.

That would be pretty much wrap it up for the Seniors. The Juniors would deliver the volume, fuel economy offset and wider market coverage. Brand name would not be Packard or Clipper, maybe Volvo. They are up for sale and I hear a group of Americans might be interested. An independent Volvo would do well to have a brand above them, possibly another below.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Volvo is being sold by Ford to an automotive company based in China. I am not sure of the spelling of this firm but will give it a shot Geely.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/11/23 22:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Does anyone have any links to these designs for those of us who don't have the magazine?

Posted on: 2009/11/23 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Eric: I picked up the October issue of CA to look at while at the local news stand a few months ago. I was going to purchase the October issue because of the Packard designs by TT. After looking at his drawings I just put the issue back on the rack. TT designs of how he would envision a modern Packard just plain suck big time.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/11/23 22:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved