Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 245

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Steer me on the right path please!
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Morning all,

Good point re. spring washers. I rechecked all the washers and they are flat ones. I will replace them with spring type ones.

Thanking you.

Pat

Posted on: 2009/8/3 4:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
WAIT a minute!!!! Don't necessarily REPLACE the flat washers. Simply place a lock washer BETWEEN the flat washer and nut.

Check the manual or parts book to see if Packard used a flat washer in this location. I doubt it. If they didn't use a flat washer then u can eleminate the flat washer and use just the lock washer. It is possible that Packard may have used some kind of self locking nut like a stover nut.

IT doesn't really matter what type of LOCK washer or LOCK nut is used but it would nice to know what Packard used in production. Usualy, among all mfg'ers in heavy suspension parts only a lock washer is used.

--=*=-- CHECK THE REST OF THE CAR for loose nuts and bolts !!!!!!

LOck washers or somekind of lock nut, or in some cases under extreme heat conditions either HARDENED flat washers or stover nuts are used.

Nuts and bolts will almost always loosen up on ANYTHING subject to vibration or shock due to impact.

About the only place a locking fastener device of somekind is not used is for sheetmetal applications.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 6:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never had mine apart so can't comment with certainty but I'd suggest a look at the picture in the parts book. The nuts are special elongated nuts to give maximum thread contact and thread slightly into a recess in the axle. Washer details are less than clear from the picture but you might browse the parts list and learn more.

It is possible that Packard may have used some kind of self locking nut like a stover nut. Don't know what a stover nut is, but locking nuts like fibre-lock etc. weren't used by Packard in that era and perhaps were a later development. Where extra security was required for a nut, typically a deep castellated nut was used, and for bolts such as main bearing bolts, they had drilled heads and were cross-wired.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.82 KB)
177_4a76e2fb7c8a5.jpg 600X782 px

Posted on: 2009/8/3 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I forgot to mention that if lockwashers are used on suspension or engine or other high vibration/impact areas then do not use the cad plated lock washers. Use a lock washer that is NOT plated.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 9:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Loctite will work if you want to use the original fasteners and no lock washers. It does not show or change the original appearance of the parts.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 12:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
No one has mentioned Marsden nuts which were developed by a gent named Marsden who worked for Packard, primarily in the marine division. They do not require lock washers. They are the nuts on the bumper bolts in 55 and 56 (G451007 G451011) and perhaps in many other places.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 15:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved