Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
I am looking at buying a 1949 Sedan and I would like some help in decoding the body/style and engine number given to me by the seller. It is reportedly 2252-9-8008. There is also a plate on the firewall that reads Body Number 2252-7882. This I could verify from a picture on the sellers Ebay listing. I don't have any further information on the engine number, the seller could only give me a casting number of 389723356 from the cylinder head. Also, stamped into the firewall, according to the seller, is the number 840024. The car is reportedly a numbers matching original un-restored vehicle and I just want to make sure of that. Can anyone help with decoding these numbers for me? Thanks Joe W

Posted on: 2009/7/22 10:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 2252 tells you it's a 22nd series Custom 8 sedan, the -9- tells you it was either factory renumbered or manufactured to sell as a 1949 model, though they are essentiall identical the the 1948 models. The renumbering was to let dealers avoid the consequences of selling a 1948 as a left-over when the 1949 (22nd series) cars were identical.

The 8008 tells you it was the 6008th 22nd series Custom 8 sedan manufactured. The 2252-7882 is the production number assigned by the body manufacturer, Briggs. The bodies were shipped from Briggs to Packard, sometimes stored for a while, and thus the numbers don't necessarily correlate; yours is typically close.

The large, embossed 840024 is known as the body serial number or "thief-proof" number, and number do be used when ordering parts or requesting service from Packard if the other numbers have been altered or obliterated.

All of the above sounds correct, but you might locate (driver's side) the engine# and check against that data elsewhere on this website to determine if it is in the correct range for that year and model.

Your casting number is actually combining two numbers, the last digits, 356, tell you the head is from a 356 cubic inch engine which this model should have. The balance of the casting number isn't of much consequence though you should also find a casting date which should be in line with a 1948-49 car.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 10:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Thank you for the response, it was very helpful. The seller is asking a premium price for the car based on it's originality and condition and I just want to make sure that what they say is what you get. I have asked them for the engine number, I even sent them a jpg image of where it is located at from a picture I found here on the forum. If that number comes in within the range that the forum says would be correct than I guess I buy it. According to the forum's information that number should be in the range of G-600001 to G-650000 with it likely being G-600001 to G-612000. Can you tell me if your understanding of this numbering sequence is correct?

I understand from readings that this body style wasn't all that popular, but I like the lines and the flowing motion of the body and trim. Besides, it is appealing to me to drive a car that is as old as I am and in far better shape than me. If it all pans out and I do buy it, I will definitely post the car to the registry.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My source for engine #s says G-600001 to G-612000.

The Custom 8 of 1948-50 was in my opinion the very last of Packard's true luxury cars that still embraced their heritage of the past. I've owned two of them, they are superbly crafted with top-notch materials and are a really fine tour car. The 356 engine was one of Packard's finest.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 11:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The motor number should fall within the #'s you mentioned. The motor # on the 356 engine is found stamped on the drivers side of the engine block just below the cylinder head near the #4 spark plug and may be partial obscured by the spark plug loom. The build date is cast into the block on the drivers side down at the very lower rear and the engine # is on the opposite side but same location. The 22-23 Series Customs are magnificent automobiles. Good luck with your purchase but be sure to have the car thoroughly inspected by someone familiar with Packards of this era to ensure authenticity and that there are no major mechanical issues to deal with. I see that the car has the Electromatic clutch and overdrive.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 11:24
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Thanks guys for the information. The engine number is G-601499 and seems to fall within the range quoted. It is a pretty awesome vehicle judging from the photos. The seller has even posted shots of the undercarriage, and it is is superb condition for its age. I have wrenched cars since I was a kid, my father's age and lack of interest in doing it himself got me started with fixing his cars. Only recently have I resorted to dealerships or garages to work on my cars. These old ones I think I understand pretty well. But thanks for the advice about having it inspected. I am hoping that the seller will let me put down a small down payment with final sale subject to my inspection. The auction ends this weekend and I can't get to it before then. If not, than either it doesn't sell and gets relisted and I go and inspect it or it sells and I continue looking for one.

This particular car has wire wheels. Were they an extra cost option offered by the dealership?

My father did own two Packards, hence my interest in them over other makes. One was a pre-war 7 passenger limo I think was a 1941 180 that he bought when I was a baby and got rid of when maintenance became an issue for him. The other was an early Caribbean two door in black over yellow that got abandoned when we moved to Calif. in 1959. I miss that limo, what a truly great car it was. I still remember it today, some 55 years later.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 12:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Joe W wrote:
This particular car has wire wheels. Were they an extra cost option offered by the dealership?

Joe, The wheels are almost certainly a modern addition as they were not an option in 1949 nor even available aftermarket to my knowledge and BTW neither was the 6 Volt Delco alternator the car is equipped with. The underside looks great as you mentioned but there do appear to be oil leaks and possibly a differential pinion seal leak so best to have the car looked at before purchasing. You won't be disappointed in the performance or the smooth ride if you buy it.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 12:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Yep, I saw the leaks also. That doesn't bother me if the car is purported to be original. If there weren't any, than I would wonder and probably pass. Undocumented repairs to tranny's and rear axles bother me.

Thanks for the information on the wheels. I didn't think they were original to the year, probably added within the last 10 years or so especially seeing as how the tires are tubeless and while not stated are most likely radials as well. If I buy this car I'll keep the wires on it, they do look good for the body style, but later on source a set of originals with hubcaps.

As for the alternator, that's okay with me for now. I hate polarizing generators. But some where I am sure I could find an original unit and keep it with the wheels for a future frame-off restore if I live long enough to quit enjoying just driving the car and want to make it into a show piece.

Obviously you are looking at this car on Ebay, is there any other pieces of advise you could give me, it would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 12:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Joe, See if the original hubcaps and wheels come with the car as these will have the cloisonne centers and are VERY expensive to replace. Oil leaks other than the rear main are no big deal and I have replaced seals on my 47 at low cost. Alternator is not a bad alteration just thought I would bring it to your attention in case you didn't notice but how can you possibly "hate" polarizing a generator? . I noticed this car when it was first advertised on E-Bay and liked it from the moment I saw the photos. Original Custom interiors in that nice condition indicates to me a well cared for automobile. You seem like a pretty saavy car guy so should be able to navigate through a car deal with no problems. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 12:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Thanks for the encouragements. Someone else asked him if the original wheels were with the car and he said no that only the spare is the original wheel.

I remember once when I was in my teens and I forgot to polarize a generator on my Dad's Rambler, boy was he mad. At least I learned how to rebuild one.

Maybe I'll place a bid based on what I have been told so far about numbers. It would take a pretty determined scammer to figure out what numbers should be provided, and they would have most likely provided them at the onset. This guy seems like he's trying to be honest. If he didn't tell me the truth at the very least I would have a nice driver that I could enjoy for many years to come.

Thanks for your help. Talk with you again I hope. Maybe drive up to Canada with the car and visit some day.

Joe

Posted on: 2009/7/22 13:15
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved