Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

Charles, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Head light switch removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
I am down to solving a few remaining issues. My next challenge is to get the lights working on my 48 touring. My test have led me to the head light switch as being the problem. I have 6 volt to the switch but no voltage is being sent to the dimmer switch, dash or tail lights. I believe I need to remove my headlight switch and try and clean it up. Has anyone had any success in removing and cleaning the switch to restore it to working order? I must be dense because I have not been successful in figuring out how to remove it from the car. I have read the electrical section VIII with no help. I also reviewed the the TSB 48T-13. I can't even get the front knob off. Any direction will be appreciated. The safety latch is installed on my switch.

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/8/7 9:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Head light switch removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The knob doesn't come off to remove the switch, you remove ALL the switches at the same time from behind the dash. There's a bracket that they're all mounted to that uses two funky flathead nuts to hold it on to the front chrome piece of the dash, where the switch's knobs are. Once you get it out I can walk you through how to take it apart and clean it, as I did it with all of mine when I had them out. They're a pretty interesting switch design!

Posted on: 2009/8/7 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Telephone man,
Before you go into a lot of work is the rear of the switch accessible to get at? If so try giving it a spray with some switch cleaner as used in the electronics industry. I'm sure you can get it from your vast amount of stores in the US. Might be worth a try
good luck
Terry

Posted on: 2009/8/7 9:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The switches are bunched in together pretty tight, I don't think you'll be too successful in spraying much into it without taking it out.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 9:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Thanks the switch is lying on the bench now where do we go?

Posted on: 2009/8/7 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Bend the little tabs back carefully and remove the fiber board cover. Use some fine grit emery cloth/sandpaper and clean up the contacts, cleaning with electrical solvent. (brake cleaner works in a pinch) Then, lube it up with some white lithium grease and put it back together. Make sure it works, then put it back in.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 11:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I wouldn't use emery paper on any electrical contacts. I have had success using a red pencil eraser. You know the kind of eraser on the end of a yellow pencil? Carefully burnish all contacts with the eraser. I have cleaned commutators this way for years. The white lithium grease is good. Cramolin is better if you have it. Use it sparingly - a thin film is all you want. Careful with cloth-covered wires - they are delicate.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
100% agree with Randy, emery or crocus on electrical contacts is not a good practice. Standard Ignition, Delco-Remy and AutoLite all used to sell packets of special polishing sticks for cleaning contact pads in voltage regulators, horn relays and the like and for all I know they are still a catalog item with Standard or Echlin. They are also often found at the larger old car flea markets.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Thanks for your help I now have lights. I cleaned and greased checked with an ohm meter before I reinstalled. There was one more trick the car played on me. There still were no lights it appears that the circuit breaker would pass a simple resistance test but when the apms came in it decided it was quitting. A quick stop at my favorite parts store to get a new one and I am in business. Thanks again for all your help.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 20:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved