Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 201

kevinpackard, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55-56 Hard-top Flippers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Anyone ever rebuilt these contraptions successfully?

Posted on: 2009/8/8 17:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 Hard-top Flippers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Can someone explain to me what hard top flippers are.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/8 17:32
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
I will be corrected if I am wrong but what I believe he is talking about is the chrome strip above the door glass that flips up whenever the door is opened and back down when door closes. Right?????????? This was common in the 50's on hardtops.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 18:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are yours intact? 3 springs plus an L shaped piece of metal in front that catches the vent window frame and another flat piece in back the top of window presses against when up. As long as springs intact and hinges don't bind, the plastic around those metal catch pieces seems the biggest issue as it cracks and falls off. I doubt if anyone makes replacements--but haven't looked. If springs broken, they don't look too complicated and maybe able to make or find something that will work at one of the industrial catalog places. If the spring mounts are broken, then that might be an issue not easily solved.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
"the plastic around those metal catch pieces seems the biggest issue as it cracks and falls off."

There is a product called Dip & Grip Rubberized Plastic for coating tool handles that works fine for coating these. Simply dip them in product, remove and let cure, dip again if necessary, the more you dip the thicker the coating becomes.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 9:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
product called Dip & Grip

Absolutely right. Hadn't thought of that stuff in years and think there is similar with slightly different name. Just need to pour a bit in a smaller container so you can get it flush and coat high enough.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Two Questions:

Does anyone know if these flippers cross (interchange) with other marques? Also, anyone ever replaced their "fuzz" along the interior of the units?

Thanks much.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 20:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know about the interchange but since the fuzz looks like it might be on a separate piece almost crimped in might be a couple of options. Doubt it could be uncrimped without damage but maybe if it was started at one end could be pulled up & loosened.

When I did the 56 HT, there was fuzz on the rear quarter chrome pieces the window slides up into that was in bad shape. Replaced with Steels bow drill tape for convertibles which looked very much like the original fuzz & worked pretty well.

See Restoration Specialties has several varieties of similar & wonder if something like that could be applied if the old fuzz is mostly gone from the support. Also, they have several sizes of belt weatherstrip which might be a possibility if the crimp could be maintained while getting the old support out & glue the new piece in it's place.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.27 KB)
209_4a7f79343fd43.jpg 802X467 px

Posted on: 2009/8/9 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
HH56,

Thanks for the thoughts. As I eyed the pieces, I was confounded as to how I would "break" the grip of the long crimp that holds one side of each the "fuzz" strip. I attempted to "pry" ever so gently and that didn't appeal to me. I tried pulling the "exposed" end of the "fuzz" underneath my pry location and the metal just tore.

I do like the possibility of using glue to affix over the old/worn "fuzz".

BTW, I ordered welting (for fender skirts) from the business you cited last week and found them to be a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
"Flippers?"

I knew what Kevin meant by the thread title, but am amazed that I'm not the only one who doesn't know what the heck they're called. There must be a for-real name. Flappers?

This will require further investigation by us nit-pickers.

"Y'know, Flippers with Fuzz." That would be a great one to ask at the parts counter.

AKA "Head bumpers." How many of you have bumped the "flipper" down getting in the car and then closed the door on it? For such a flimsy looking gadget, they seem to take this kind of abuse fairly well.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 12:20
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved