Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Packwagon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

@#*&%*# Metric!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
I got lucky in refurbishing my front brakes, a little bit. The left hand side came apart very easily, steel line turned right out of the flex hose and the cylinder bore was like new even after sitting for 15 plus years. A quick hone and a fresh set of cups and it was good to go. Took the right side apart and its a different story. The cylinder looks like it was soaked in salt water for a 100 years. I ordered in a new cylinder, Raybestos part # WC18291. Took it out of the box, and no casting numbers like they used to have, just Made in China and the bleeder fitting is METRIC Not that I'll ever have the car judged but it was nice having a vehicle that only required one set of tools. Even the last bastions of what was once a mighty industrial empire are giving way to globalism
Ah well-end of rant
MikeG

Posted on: 2009/8/14 7:47
 Top  Print   

Re: @#*&%*# Metric!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Better check the threads for the line fitting.

In fact, you might wanna look the entire part over very carefully. Sometimes the same basic casting is finished differently (thread pitch and diameters) for a variety of applications. It's not impossible to have the wrong part in the right box.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 8:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know where u ordered the cylinder from but did the seller indicate it was metric or an "Import" product????

Posted on: 2009/8/14 8:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Brian-everything else was OK. Flex line and mounting bolts went right in. Probably just a case of the factory in China sourcing the bleeder screw locally rather than build it to Raybestos specs. It just aggravates me that even the "brand name" parts are being bastardized. I've been in the auto parts business for 30 plus years and I can remember when there was a difference. Brand name and quality actually meant something besides what box the part came in.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"I ordered in a new cylinder, Raybestos part # WC18291. Took it out of the box, and no casting numbers like they used to have, just Made in China and the bleeder fitting is METRIC Not that I'll ever have the car judged but it was nice having a vehicle that only required one set of tools. "

Hmmmmmmmm. i wonder if this is in the clubbies rule book for judging cars at shows.?????? Rather ez to reach behind the wheel of a show car to see if it has a metric hex on the bleeder.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 8:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Packard V8-I bought it through my own store, and like most everything you get today, there is really no way of telling what you're getting till you get it. As I said it was a Raybestos part in a Raybestos box. A quick survey of whats on my shelf shows some have country of origin printed in very small letters or others will proudly proclaim ASSEMBLED IN USA. Not Made in USA, just put together. We are very rapidly loosing all of our "hot metal" industries due to reasons as much political as economic but thats another subject altogether.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thank u for the clarification.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also beware of China-Rican flared fitting seats that are machined into any parts. I've had some minor problems with some parts. BUT MAJOR problems with fuel filters. Especialy Purolator fuel filters made in China.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Took it out of the box, and no casting numbers like they used to have, just Made in China and the bleeder fitting is METRIC

Mike, not sure whether you meant the bleeder screw THREADS were metric, or just the dimension across flats.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 9:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Hmmmmmmmm. i wonder if this is in the clubbies rule book for judging cars at shows.?????? Rather ez to reach behind the wheel of a show car to see if it has a metric hex on the bleeder.
Who knows? I've seen people obsess over lesser things than that at Model A meets.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 9:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved